Why All the Cray-Cray Words?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
He may have been visiting Oz. We will expect poetry, Marshall.

And Red . . .
˙ǝɯ ɥsnɹ ʇ’uop ʇɥƃıɹ ןןɐ - ʇɥƃıɹ ןןɐ

¡sʇɹnɥ pɐǝɥ ʎɯ puɐ ʇıƃpı ɐʇsnɾ ɐɯɯ’ı

Sʇıƃpı

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oyi!!!!

So after seeing how many folks posted on this I had to see what this tread was all about. I'm always so confused when people use the new abbreviations and terminology & Im 36.

In my house though we never talked baby talk to either of our girls. My oldest is almost 6 & has often been complimented on her impressive vocabulary. For us we thought it was silly to learn baby talk then have to go back & retrain them on how to speak correctly.

With the baby being 6 months we still talk to her like a normal person. Things have names for what they are not weird names like pacy or fra-fra for a child's pacifier. We have blankets not blankies, we also offer drinks in cups not a sippy. Based on the kids age/ability one should be able to determine what type of cup is warranted.

Maybe Im biased but using those kinds of terms makes me think your immature & incapable of handling things. If in Australia they use different terminology that's one thing. Like here it's a cpgrocery cart, or a buggy, or a number of other terms. My English friend calls it a trolley. That doesn't bother me but if they suddenly referred to it as a ca-ca or bug then we've got an issue.

In not a teacher but a basic understanding of the English language is not yo much to expect. One ASKS a question, you do not AXE me sumthin'.

I just don't get it.

As far as meeting someone from Australia I'd imagine it started with "Hello" but stranger things have happened.

Glad to hear she's coming out to see you. I hope nothing but the best for the two of you.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'd like to see some Australian wild plant pictures, what district(?) is she from? I would be especially interested to see some of that stuff coming out of Queensland!

As far as Australian nicknames for things go they favor an "ee" at the end of things. I don't know if some of these new American words favor a certain sound or not. Maybe all countries originating from the old English Empire and destined to diversify to the point of developing languages completely different from one another? Since splitting from England we have gotten our own cultures going, what would be the next step? We're surely not done developing yet.

Good luck with your date Marshall!

............"Marshall'sGirl" :p

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did you know that Noah Webster (yes, that Webster) originally suggested that women who could stand up to a difficult life in America should be referred to as: "tuf wimmin" . . ?

I only made part of that up ;). However, Mr. Webster thought that we should spell "tough" as "tuf" and "women" as "wimmin." He wasn't kidding and it was only after several decades that he came around to the idea of spelling these words as the British do. Now, I would defy you to pronounce "tough" the way it is spelled . . . give it a couple of tries . . . . had enough?

The American dialect, a tract of corruption to which every language widely diffused must always be exposed. ~ Samuel Johnson

Steve :)

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Right on, Jared77! I, for one, agree with your use of proper language in speaking to everyone, infants included. Of course, acknowledge and accept their pronunciation of "banky" with, "You want your blanket?"

I have never heard someone suggest we adults should stop walking and crawl everywhere while our babies are learning to crawl, or we should put away the forks and eat with our fingers while the babies are learning to feed themselves.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hope all goes well and their expectations of each other are met. But she sure is coming a long way to see Marshall. That's gotta mean something. Hey, I'm close enough to go spy on them! They would never know who I am! HaHa

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hope all goes well and their expectations of each other are met. But she sure is coming a long way to see Marshall. That's gotta mean something. Hey, I'm close enough to go spy on them! They would never know who I am! HaHa

Mary
Is that not your picture in your avatar? Quick! Change it!!!! :p

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, I thought about that. But since it's so small, I don't think I would be recognizable. Especially when you're not expecting me. :D

Mary

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
oh, this is getting good now....
sHa_hehe.gif

Latest posts