Why do ALL my pumpkins die every year!?

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:
I wish I had advice but I do not, I am sorry. I was going to rip out my watermelon vine (since I just picked the last melon in garden #1) and I was going to put in pumpkins. I am hoping to learn something from here before I do this!
WOw, we are so far behind here in MN that my canteloupe are only 3 inches across and no mellons have set because they JUST started flowering. Thank goodness for the predicted El Nino!

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
sparkles2307 said:
Pat, when do the females open tho? Mine are always all bunched up tight...do I have to do this while I am doing my hair and geting kids ready before we leave the house at 6:45 for the day?
It needs to be done in the heat of the day, when the flowers are fully open and dry. You can use a soft bristle brush, too, like the kind used to apply facial blush makeup. Dip a clean brush into the male flower, then dust lightly into the females.
Since you're not there in the midday, though, this might present a problem...

jessejames

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
OKAY newbie question
how you identify male and female flowers!
i am also having major flower production but not alot of fruit setting. vines are happy and i have plenty of bees. i too have been picking cuc beetles daily for months with tweezers so I am in an out of the flowers too.
thanks

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Saturday at 10:00 a.m. the females were all open at the same time as the males. The bees were THICK, but I didnt see many on the male flowers so I hand pollinated everything I could find.

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
sparkles2307 said:
Saturday at 10:00 a.m. the females were all open at the same time as the males. The bees were THICK, but I didnt see many on the male flowers so I hand pollinated everything I could find.
Now you're talking. Human-Flora Interactive Pollination, it's the way to go!

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
you may want to look into growing flowers and shrubs that attract bees. I looked it up but I cant right now remember what I found. Im definitely looking into it for next year.

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Its crazy how many bees are in there, on the pumpkin flowers, all day long, its almost scary to walk in there. BUT I noticed on my hand-pollinating adventure that the bees seemed to be ALL over the femaled but I never saw any on the males, like they were just bypassing them... anyways my hand pollination worked because there are 8 new pumpkins SET and HOLDING!!!

Latest posts