Why do animals act like UH animals?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
bobm said:
Several years ago, I was assending into Paradise ... ( Cal.) ... as I was driving on the road with a cut into the hill, a doe decided to jump out and down from there and put a hoof through my car's hood and through the radiator. After I swerved and came to a stop. she managed to free herself ( broken leg ) and drag herself to the other side of the road and downhill. Just then a game warden came along. I flagged him down and he shot the doe and took her to a Indian reservation for their food distribution.
Wow, Bob, You are lucky it wasn't you and your car that went down the hill. I wonder how many people are killed in deer-car collisions every year?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
so lucky said:
bobm said:
Several years ago, I was assending into Paradise ... ( Cal.) ... as I was driving on the road with a cut into the hill, a doe decided to jump out and down from there and put a hoof through my car's hood and through the radiator. After I swerved and came to a stop. she managed to free herself ( broken leg ) and drag herself to the other side of the road and downhill. Just then a game warden came along. I flagged him down and he shot the doe and took her to a Indian reservation for their food distribution.
Wow, Bob, You are lucky it wasn't you and your car that went down the hill. I wonder how many people are killed in deer-car collisions every year?
There's a site for that.....

about 200 people a year....

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/national/2012/10/24/267786.htm

http://www.deercrash.org/

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Whelp...here in Montana it is now legal to take your roadkill home! All you have to do is go online and print yourself a permit within, i think, 36 hours of bringing it home! :lol:

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Heather, you might have guessed it was Montana Whitetails I was talking about.

Ducks, that's a great name for a horse. One time when I was visiting a gal at her ranch we hopped on her horses to go for a ride. I kinda knew something was up when she asked how good I was at falling off a horse! I rode her thorobred stallion named Buster. Pretty nice riding horse, bareback, bitless bridle, Liked the reins a bit too high, but that's alright.

We went up hills and down hills. Suddenly Buster would not go until I guided one way then the other. Sara laughed and reminded me I said I fall pretty good. Oh boy. As we came to a rise, Buster stopped, faked left...then loosened his skin as he turned right, with just a little hop.

Down I went! Basically on my feet, hands helped. Stood up, there was Buster's eyes, right in mine, and he stomped my foot! I pulled it back, but it still cut a toe!

Buster was not a long distance hauler, that's for sure. When he's done with the ride, well, he's done with the ride, time's up, you're off.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
NwMtGardener said:
Whelp...here in Montana it is now legal to take your roadkill home! All you have to do is go online and print yourself a permit within, i think, 36 hours of bringing it home! :lol:
Down here in VA it's common practice..
Two weeks ago one of the couples in my Monday group was late. When the showed up they were frantic - they had hit a deer and had been trying to call one of the other ladies in the group to send her husband to get it. Well, she called her hubby and they gave him directions as he tore down the road... only to find 2 other guys loading it up when he arrived.
:lol:
"Hunters" down here will claim ANY deer they can get!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Marshallsmyth, I don't keep horses that won't train out of this kind of stuff. All of my horses have tried to step on my foot. It is a test that they cannot resist. I immediately kick them in shins (cannon bones) several times and they don't repeat the mistake. The horse you rode didn't throw you. I know bc I've been thrown several times and the one time that my green horse panicked and starting bucking next to a cannon (at a CW event) my friends said that he threw me 9 feet in the air and broke my right humerous. It wasn't funny, either and it ruined my 2004 riding season.
My best horses came to understand that bucking and throwing the rider is a FELONY at my place. Yes, Virginia, they go to horsey jail, which is sold at auction.
Still, I try hard to only buy good attitudes, and Buster Brown has a good attitude. He's also mouthy and often throws his rubber grain bowl through the window into the barn when he's done. He destroyed the Jolly Ball I gave them to play with, and he taught his BFF, "Sweet Cup&Cakes" (aka "Long Arm of the Law", KMH) to play keep away with sticks, just like he has seen my two dogs play.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I blame it on the little trolls that follow humans around to make mischief. :bun

You see, little trolls and gnomes on occasion, move in with human families and follow us around watching for opportunities to upset the balance in our lives. It's easiest to do with animals, because well, animals can see them and we can't. So the troll can spook a horse, or scare a chicken from its only escape. We have to come to the rescue and it drives us nuts, but the trolls get a laugh.

Its the same little troll that steals your matching sock from the washing machine, and moves that pen you just had in your hand clear across the room when you needed to finish writing something.

I also believe they hit "upload" or "reboot" on my computer when I'm not done using it and HP asks if I want to install now. I don't hit yes, but that little jerk living under my desk did!

:caf

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is beginning to make some sense, V. But, I'm wondering how small children fit into this scenario . . .

Yesterday evening, we had a visit from DW's friend and her 2 year-old grandson. Well, he is almost two - yeah, it was just after the holidays when he first showed up.

I move Garbanzo off to hang out with me and that kid was around again, and again, and again. Bonzo was a nervous wreck! She spent most of the evening clinging to my shoulder trying to make friends by "gesture" or staring at the closed door waiting for it open and chaos to descend upon us again! He didn't dare climb on me to get at Bonzo - he very likely had the impression that I was the one more likely to bite.

I had to shower after they left. You know, dogs sweat thru their feet . . . . !

Steve
young people should do the 99% part of raising children! olde people & small dogs aren't interested in the active positives or negatives of child-rearing. they are interested in peace and quiet!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seems like little kids are always attracted to nervous dogs, and cats are attracted to people who don't like cats.