Why Do The Cockerels Have To Be The Friendliest??

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My 5 year old grand daughter and I bought 20 chicks that were hatched Christmas day. She had lots of fun, carried them around, loved on them, watched TV with them and her Papaw and then went back home. I send her cell phone picture updates. I already have her saying, "Crow and it's off with your head!" :lol:

Buy why do the cockerels have to be the first ones to run to greet me when I open the run door? Why do they have to peck my toes? Why do they have to be so fearless when the Great Pyrenees, Paris comes in the run to see whazzup? Why do they have to be so darn cute? AARRGH!!!! :barnie

It's just not fair. :(

But fair or not, they will still be dinner and yes, I will do it myself. Grand daughter even has said she wants to help. That's my girl! :gig

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Watching chicken TV with her Papaw.

7949_watching_chicken_tv.jpg

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think they are protecting the hens. We had "Mr. Turkey" when my kids were little. He was our only named bird. He was large and very beautiful. One day when my husband was tilling the garden he came at me repeatedly with his spurs, I in shorts. He got me good. My husband did not hear me screaming for a while with the tiller going. He rescued me and Mr. Turkey was"eaten by a raccoon."

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've not had a friendly one yet, but I guess they haven't gotten cuddled as much. Cute pic of your little chickie. :)

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i know what you mean about them acting friendly. i have too many roos that i've kept around because they have friendly traits. a few that should have lost their heads by now. one little bugger (a d'uccle with 'tude) should have been taken out over a year ago. he's had his moments when he's been friendly and watches over the girls and doesn't bother them much with the other boys around. and then the Napoleon personality just comes out and he thinks he's in charge and challenges me/my hands. i consider him my little clown because of the goofy foot feathers.

my youngest boy hatched mid August and he's been friendly since the start. he tends to come running to me when i'm in the coop. most times he hides by my feet since he's still low on the pecking order. he usually comes over to me for a scratch around the neck and a little 'talking' to. he stopped hopping up into my lap a few months ago but that might be because the cold weather has stopped me from sitting out there for longer than a few minutes. he's a large fowl blue salmon faverolles and the first of my own line! :weee so i really want to keep him in my flock.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think its' because they somehow know that if they don't get you to love them while they're cute and harmless, they don't stand a chance once they grow up...

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jared77 said:
Pssst Hey Bay 1 word for ya.....CAPONS :th
I have cut pigs before, but since a rooster's uh..... er....... um....... yum-yum's are not readily accesssable, then maybe it would be a bad idea for me to go digging around in a rooster's guts with a long pointed object. :lol: