Why do you do it?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
After having COMPLETELY hijacked another thread - and not wanting to take it on another twist... I thought I'd ask this here:

WHY DO YOU DO IT?

Whatever 'IT' is.
Why do you garden?
Why did you choose to focus more on flowers - or on veggies - or on a grain crop?
Why do you raise chickens, or sheep, or horses, or cows or rabbits, or....?
Why to you bake bread or grind grains into flour or brew kombucha or?

What do you get out of it?
What would you loose if you didn't?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Enjoyment plain and simple. I enjoy growing flowers, most of the time it makes me happy. I don't cook so growing vegetables kind of moot. There is nothing like looking at a 15 foot crab apple covered in flowers remembering how it was only 4 feet when I planted it years ago.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have nearly always gardened. It must be about 50 seasons.

Some of the years when I wasn't gardening, I worked on a farm. One job, I worked in a greenhouse and had my own garden, outside ... On a property where I have a current garden, the owner's son had built on the home where he lived, then moved away. His father rented the home. The son moved back and found me in the garden. After several years, he made a plaque for me and his wife put my name on it. They gave us 2 little wooden bears to go with the plaque for Christmas. I don't do anything while I'm there for his landscaping and lawn except run the trimmer around the edge of the garden.

I like the food the garden grows. I have a relationship with the different varieties, some are from saved seed, and many have been in my garden for years. They have a relationship with me, don't you know?

I can be productive and grow some things to sell. That is important to DW and excuses the time, money and good exercise I put into the garden. Oh, and I lose weight and stay a little more mobile from being out there.

Steve

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Cause it's fun to see plants grow and produce fruit and veggies, n out here on the range, well, that big hairy guy with big feets, don't bother veggies, n I'd shoot him in the rump if he went after the animals. But I wouldn't tell you ether way, cause you'd poke fun n crap like that!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
:cool: BECAUSE!!!!!! :old P E R I O D !!!!!!! :tongue

Actually, I like to can tomatoes, bread & butter pickles, fresh zucchini, sugar snap peas, spinach, beets, lettuce and salad onions,
A N D
I have to care for 5 acres, and gardening is the same as landscaping, so why not?:D
I wouldn't even LIVE on these 5 acres had I not owned horses and wanted them to be in my own backyard. Since then I have added chickens---LOVE the fresh eggs and YES, Virginia, they taste better, and the chicken meat has a real flavor.
We went from only one cat 2 years ago to 9 (trying to catch two kittens that Should go), but I have eliminated mice in the house and the rats that relocated from the zombie forclosure across the street to under my chicken coop. Haven't seen ONE RAT since last October, and that one was dead and being carried off by one of my cats.
GOOD FUZZY FRIENDS!!!!

Latest posts