Why do you eat?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Spicy, crunchy pickles.....sounds good. Even healthy...
I’ve posted this before for you. You must have forgotten. Make some this summer. They make the BEST deviled eggs and are super yummy on hamburgers.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’ve posted this before for you. You must have forgotten. Make some this summer. They make the BEST deviled eggs and are super yummy on hamburgers.

You expect me to remember? :lol::lol::lol::th:gig
You must be delusional from all the moving & stuff.....

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mom was not much of a stovetop cook. I don't think that she really wanted to be. For example, her mother told her never to learn to milk a cow so when Dad & Bro went on hunting trips, 8 year old Steve's digitS' were doing the milking. Anyway, Mom would overcook/burn every single vegetable that she would cook on the stove. Good Gravy, what was I supposed to do?!
It seems we have much in common @digitS' ; I learned to garden, fish, and cook at an early age, for much the same reason. I used to say - jokingly - that my Mother could burn ice cubes! :lol: I know Mom tried, but apparently my maternal G'ma's excellent cooking skills were not passed down well.

No such problem in our family. DW has taught all of our children to cook the dishes they grew up eating, as I have taught our children & grandchildren to love all manner of fresh vegetables. No "picky broccoli eaters" in our family, who grew up eating okra, eggplant, fresh limas, and Asian greens. Admittedly, bitter melon has been a tougher sell though... DW only recently convinced me to start eating it. :lol:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
my Mother could burn ice cubes! :lol: I know Mom tried, but apparently my maternal G'ma's excellent cooking skills were not passed down well.
That's the thing.

Her parents owned a restaurant for a short time before Mom was born.

After the Great Depression hit and their own time back on a farm, Grandma Goldie worked as a cook in a restaurant. Laguna Beach - Mom was a waitress and enjoyed the beach ;).

Steve

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Zeedman
@digitS'
Both of your stories are relatable to me! Mom wasn’t the greatest cook even on her best days. The only I remember that she could cook better than dad was eggs. And that’s because dad insists on burning everything on purpose even eggs. Usually he’d pull mine and moms off the pan and then scorch the rest of his food but there were some things he insisted had to blackened and breakfast food was one. Unfortunately when I was around 11 mom got very sick and it sapped her energy and memory. I learned to cook pretty quickly after that. I actually banned her from the kitchen when I was 12 after she burned the 2nd boxed lasagna in a week and couldn’t remember cooking the first one. She’s much better now and her cooking has greatly improved however vegetables still always end up as a tasteless, unsalted, mush.

The only people in the family who can cook are me, dad when he doesn’t burn everything and my step grandmother. Most of my families cooking is atrocious. Dad‘s mom cooked a vegetable soup that involved dumping whatever leftovers from the week in the pot with water. Spaghetti, moldy bananas, a cucumber and lettuce. Why not? I claim eating with her at least twice a week when I was a child is why I’ve never had food poisoning.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
So, are Italians really strongly opposed to pineapple on pizza??

I was just reading about a pair of siblings born 10 months apart. Their mother was a very well educated woman and the kids excelled in school. Then, their lives had problems in time while working for the same boss. They seem to have been yes-men but their careers were damaged when the outfit went down. Probably studies on children like that.

Steve
ETA: pineapple on pizza?? And, what would the French say about my idea of chili on leftover quiche :hide ?

Last edited:

Latest posts