Why do you garden?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I realize it may not be a simple one reason response, just curious. Mine.

1) Relaxation.
2) Know the quality of what I produce & I can step out my door and get it.
3) Economics
4) Reminds me of home

Warthog

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
1 and 2 for me.

But mainly because I enjoy it, I find a peace and quiet in my garden that I can get nowhere else.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
For me it is a reassurance of a loving Creator, that when I put that tiny, amazing seed in the ground it will sprout and grow into the plant it was designed to be.
There is a hope there too, that whatever the chaos going on in the world, that small plant, when nurtured will mature and provide for my
subsistence.
Something apparently so simple, has layers of complexity that astound me.

Oh, and I also like to get dirty. :p

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Allof the above for us. That element of peace and just being outside producing food to eat is such a great way to balance a hectic life. :happy_flower

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Economics
Exercise
Eating Healthy
Educating myself
Environmentally responsible
(Endorphins)

eSteban

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You mean it's possible not to garden?

I am not sure I believe that :lol: Certainly never seriously occurred to me not to garden!

Veggies I do partly out of habit and mostly because there is no other way to get a PROPER tomato, and lettuce and beans are waaaay cheaper and easier if you grow them yourself, and if you're already growing those three you may as well do a few other things while you're at it.

Ornamentals I originally wasn't so interested in til we bought a butt-ugly property that needed all the help it could get :p but now it is more of a challenge than anything else, plus I enjoy seeing my perennial and woody "friends" do their stuff every year and trying out new ones.

Pat

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
For myself and my family in no particular order:

Taste: You can't beat a fresh homegrown garden tomato. Ive noticed that with many of our other veggies, they just taste better than anything I can get at the store.

Economics: How much for a package of seeds vs my production? Sure there are labor costs but I figure I could cut grass or pull weeds. Personally Id rather pull weeds.

Stress relief: There is something soothing and a sense of accomplishment for me when I get a big crop of something, or a variety of ornamental blooms. There's a real sense of "I worked hard, nutured, and cared for that plant and look at what's produced because of my effort" its kind of like a partnership with nature. I try to put them in the best situation so they can thrive, they pay me back with produce, and beautiful blooms.

I couldn't imagine not growing something. Ive been doing it since I was a kid and Ill be doing it even after Im gone cause someone's gotta push the daisies up! ;)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
At some point, I started, and I just can't stop!!!! Gardening is truly what I live for- without it, I doubt I could make it through the winter...

kmoranjr1

Leafing Out
Reaction score
In no particular order,

1) Fresh and tasty veggies cannot be beat.

2) It gives me a reason to be outside, otherwise I'd probably spend even more time doing what i am right now (posting stuff on the internet).

3) It's a good feeling to have homegrown veggies thru the winter, especially at holiday meals.

4)It helps feed the chickens, which in turn helps feed the garden. Nothing like chicken poop to make some huge tomatoes!

5) Gardening is a skill more people should have. Everyone should at least know the basics of what they eat and how it is grown. What if you have to do it?

Latest posts