Why do you garden?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
when i was a kid my mom taught me how to do a lot of the gardening. as i grew into my teens it was a way to escape the fighting in the house without really going far from home. (was miserable in the wintertime :/ )

as an older teen i found out that my gardening could also get me money and prizes at our local fair even though i was told i didn't have a chance of winning anything! i LOVE proving people wrong! even if it is my mom!

as an adult it is still my way to escape while still being useful. but it really is a way to get outside and enjoy nature while keeping things looking beautiful around the house. i have a nearly blank slate i have been working on for the past 3 years so this is going to take me some time to get it looking how i want it to! i'm going to be really busy this year!

pebbles

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I started gardening because I felt that as the world collapses around us I needed to know how to grow something. I have never ever grown anything. My husband always took care of the house plants.

Planted my first four raised veggie beds three years ago. OH MY GOODNESS!!!! I LOVE IT. My husband thinks it is hysterical. He still does the house plants. I have expanded to six big beds plus fruit trees and trellises.

I say I must have a latent "farmer" gene. I love gardening as much as I love my horses and that is saying a lot.

The best part for me is I have time to talk with my Lord Jesus and thank him for all of the bounty he has given me.

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Biggest reason for me was because of what's NOT available in local stores where I live now.

I lived in Oregon for 10 years where organic produce and fresh local food is available everywhere. There, you don't have to garden to enjoy local, fresh, farm raised food.

Since moving to TX, it's very difficult to find anything "fresh" where we live. Produce in local stores is never "fresh", and NEVER local. I decided to grow my own.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have always done perennial gardening around our house,and it has given us something that we enjoy doing together. growing vegetables was never a big focus for us, though we have always grown a couple things every year that we like to eat fresh. This is going to be our first year growing a larger vegetable garden, partially for economic reasons mostly because the area we want to put the garden is finally available. The area for the garden has been used for a swimming pool and a trampoline for the past decade or so. now that the girls are getting older and have more freedom they dont use them anymore,So now we have our veg garden space. Of course the economic reasons are becoming a concern as of late. DW called me the otherday when I was at work, she said can you beleive they want a $1.29 for one of these soft rubbery cucumbers at Winco LOL. Also working in a veggie garden reminds me of my grandparents and father who have all been gone for some time.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Collector said:
. Also working in a veggie garden reminds me of my grandparents and father who have all been gone for some time.
For me as well. Dad and I would argue about a lot of things but in garden, it was all fun and team work. Altho Dad and I had a contest to see who would get the first ripe tomatoe. He even cheated one year by buying a plant that had them on. When I tried that trick, the dang tomatoe never ripened correctly and I still LOST......... Good times. Great memories.

gettinaclue

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I do it more for the challenge of getting something to grow. I have the black thumb of DOOM....or at least I did. Lately, it's turning a more brownish color...maybe a sickly yellow on a good day :gig

I also do it because food prices are just crazy these days. I want to grow more of what we eat, the chickens eat etc.

I still need to learn canning and how to preserve our food, but the first step is growing it.

TIMOTEO

Sprout
Reaction score
I like to eat fresh vegetables and fruits which are only available at my own garden . Moreover , I need peace that is available at my Garden . So That is why I do garden .

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
I realize it may not be a simple one reason response, just curious. Mine.

1) Relaxation.
2) Know the quality of what I produce & I can step out my door and get it.
3) Economics
4) Reminds me of home
I think all 4 for me, tho I am not sure about the economic part..sometimes its costly, however, I also agree with warthogs comment.. its a peace like no
other! :):):)

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
Everyone has such moving reasons... I will just have to agree with everyone.

It just feels so darn good on every level... emotionally, spiritually, physically and can even put some Moola in the pocket! ;)
ditto

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Gardening is my own way of making just a little bit of Heaven..... Making the world a better and prettier place to be.....
7566_dahlias_8_30_2009_030.jpg

Latest posts