why gardeners REALLY hate ground hogs!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not all gardeners hate ground hogs. Personally I love them. Would you like my recipe?
.I don't believe the hype about the ground hog's shadow. Feb. 2 comes exactly 6 weeks from the start of the calendar winter and 6 weeks from the start of the calendar spring.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red, I usually get two a year on average but that's always in the heat of the summer. Would that heat hurt the meat? Say highs in the mid to upper 90's and lows in the upper 70's.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe....but the last 6 weeks are a lot longer than the first 6 weeks. I vote for putting out a hit on Phil the Ground Hog.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have always sad the only good groundhog is a dead groundhog. Ever since the summer a family of them set up house under our shed and did a real number on the garden. BAD Groundhog!

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Groundhog is pretty good if you prepare it right. It gos great with stuffing!

We actually don't have problems with them when it comes to the garden. A horse can easily break it's leg in one of their holes though.

Groundhog's Day may be pretty silly but it's an American holiday, It's kind of what makes us - us. What should go is Daylight Saving's time.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Red, I usually get two a year on average but that's always in the heat of the summer. Would that heat hurt the meat? Say highs in the mid to upper 90's and lows in the upper 70's.

Only if you leave it out in the open were the flies can get to it, otherwise it should be fine.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Such haters, I love Ground Hog Day, probably because it's my birthday!!!
We didn't have many ground hogs around here until last year when 1 took up residence under our front porch, odd thing was they never bothered the garden, knock on wood.

THANX RICH

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
if i start having a problem with them at this property i may start asking for those recipes! ;)

to me Groundhog day sounds more like a day to go hunting the fat rodents, sort of like Hunting Season up here!

Latest posts