Why have my seedlings stopped growing?

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've been starting veggies from seed for years, and for some reason, everything I started has not grown an INCH in at least a month!! They are under lights, get plenty of water, and I even put a heat mat under them to try and coax them to grow a little more but...nothing! I'm kind of grateful for a late spring this year if this is how it's going to go.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I feel like mine are in this total stasis mode too - nothing is happening! But...when I look closely, I see the quinoa are starting to develop their 1st true leaves, basil is filling in a little. Sometimes I think (when it snows) I started them too early! Lately the weather has been nice and they look so tiny, and I think I started them too late! OHwell, whichever it is, I wish they would hurry up and grow more!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Try some fish emulsion or kelp. I don't want to brag but, mine are growing too fast. I have used kelp just once when I thought they were looking a little pale. My green house gets really hot when we have a sunny day.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had very bad luck with potting soil one season.

But, it may have happened more than once - and with a brand that I've used for decades! Luckily, I was on to the 2nd bag even as I was becoming suspicious of the 1st.

I don't know how much disclosure there is in the soil industry. Using municipal compost looks mighty risky to me because of the common use of herbicides. And yet, when a bag says "compost" how can we have any idea what went into it?

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is a waste to energy plant near us and one local town adds the ashes to their free compost. Our town gives away free compost but they do not add the fly ash. Still we have only used it for grass far from out garden.I can only imagine what's in that fly ash.
I have always used Promix. I'm sure it is not particularly organic but it does not have chemical fertilizer in it.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do notice mine grow almost overnight when we've had a warm sunny day and the sunroom reaches upwards of 75-80 degrees or so. I would think your heat mat would accomplish the same thing.

If they have a couple sets of true leaves by now, you can give them a dilute solution of MiracleGro or similar. It's 1/2 tsp. to a gallon of water once every 2 weeks, but double-check the box in case I'm not thinking straight. ;) Your soiless starter mixes will have little or no nutrients in them, so as they begin to grow they need something to go on.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Where do you get the fish emulsion or kelp from?

Try some fish emulsion or kelp. I don't want to brag but, mine are growing too fast. I have used kelp just once when I thought they were looking a little pale. My green house gets really hot when we have a sunny day.