Why I am Fat

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I came across this today: Mayo Clinic Healthy Weight Pyramid Tool

What seems really remarkable was looking at this thing from 2 directions!

#1. What it would take for me to maintain what I think is a healthy weight.
#2. What it would take for me to lose weight if I assume that I am still too fat.

Whoa!

If I want to maintain my weight, and I am somewhat active, I've got 2400 calories to enjoy each day! That seemed like quite a lot - looking at the servings that would add up to those calories.

If I want to lose, assuming the very same current weight, my allowance according to Mayo is only 1400 calories!!

I could maintain the same weight but eat over 70% more food!

You can give it a try. Maintain your current weight and then click "Somewhat active: Include light or moderate physical activity about 2 or three times a week." Then, refresh the page and say that you want to lose from your current weight.

Well! I have to say that I should be happy to fall somewhere between 1400 and 2400 calories in my daily eating habits. And, if I can do just a little better than "somewhat" physical active, maybe I will even lose a few ounces over the winter . . :)

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cool site, Steve! So, Mayo says I can have 1600 calories a day. 75 of those can be from sweets...So what is that 3 M&M's?? All the other parts of the pyramid seem doable, but 75 calories of sweets is not going to happen- especially during Christmas cookie season! I guess I could make it my New Years Resolution? I would be really happy if I didn't have to start spring with 10 pounds of fat, from winter!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Currently I am using 'sparkpeople' to lose weight. I wonder now how healthy I really am? :/ When I orginally started it was a SERIOUS struggle.

My ideal calorie intake for losing weight was between 1200 and 1550 calories a day, I was suggested 1800-2000 calories to maintain my weight. All this with a 1 mile walk 3 times a week, 30-45 minutes of gardening 2 times a week and 1 day of 1 hour of yoga!

I am only eating about the 1200... I thought I would have lost more... I did have some bad days and ate upward of 1600. (usually days I enjoys an adult beverage or 2... I'm a sucker for wine.)

However, even after Thanksgiving (a 1900 calorie day for me) today I weighed myself after being sick and depressed last week. I did eat last week, I even went and ate some reeses peanut butter cups because I was depressed as you saw earlier. Today, I weighed in at 161. That's 4 lbs less then the day before Thanksgiving.

To date I have lost 19lbs since Septmeber 27th.

I have 21 more lbs to go to hit goal.

However, I am feeling 1200 calories is a bit low... but on average I have lost 2 lbs a week, and I do believe that is the suggested amount for healthy weight loss?

Anyways, off to the grocery store :) Need me some healthy snacks... and some coffee!!!! :)

p.s. - I am sorry about not being around lately... I am not even frequenting BYC these days. Hubby lost his unemployment, still isn't working and I kickin' rear, and taken names, baking for the holiday. Though business isn't covering all the bills, its certainly a blessing I'm doing well and keeping us treading water :) Thank you all for being an inspiration in these times!

;)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey vfem, keep your chin up:hugs , I can relate, my husband and I are both self employed, and the anxiety that comes with not knowing where and if your next job will come in are very familiar to us. Hang in there!:/

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think you are doing real good, V! Real, real good.

1200 calories looks scary to me but I'm not real knowledgeable on this subject.

One point I was trying to make is that for me, 1400 calories looks tuff, spartan, and throw some other words at it! Trying to be active with so little fuel . . . uff!

S'

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
I think you are doing real good, V! Real, real good.

1200 calories looks scary to me but I'm not real knowledgeable on this subject.

One point I was trying to make is that for me, 1400 calories looks tuff, spartan, and throw some other words at it! Trying to be active with so little fuel . . . uff!

S'
That was my concern too... 1200 seems like not a lot when I'm being active. The last 2 weeks... not so active though.

But you get what I'm saying too!

It should be WAY different for you then me anyways... I'm all of 5' 4" and that's not a lot! LOL

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
Hey vfem, keep your chin up:hugs , I can relate, my husband and I are both self employed, and the anxiety that comes with not knowing where and if your next job will come in are very familiar to us. Hang in there!:/
Thanks, I think it bothers me even more that I am not alone in the struggles.

I wanna run around hugging everyone!!! ;)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
It must be really hard to eat around 1200 cal. I've been on 1550 for the past two weeks and already lost 7lbs. I gotta stay after it and know exactly how many cal I've consumed. I'll often preplan my meals ahead of time to be sure I'll stay under goal. I got my #'s from myfitnesspal.com. It takes your biometric measurements into consideration and will calculate what your daily metabolism will burn (assuming everything's as it should be and you have no underlying medical issues, ie. thyroid probs) and based on your activity level. Then you tell it how many lbs you'd like to lose per week and it subtracts that (3,500 cal/week is a pound) from your daily avg. You can also have it calculate (just for your own info) what your body would likely burn (just your body's sustaining functions) if you were completely inactive, like bedridden. Mine came out around 1800 just at that. On the MFP, if you exercise, it also takes that into consideration and factors your Net cal (so if you work out, you can eat a little more). I've not been hungry on the 1550, only the first couple days as my body adjusted.

You don't want to go too low, or your body will go into starvation mode and your metabolism will slow down to conserve energy. I think it's really more important what you eat and how your body will use it. You've got to keep up certain levels of fats, carbs, vitamins and minerals, etc for your body to function at it's best (which will give you more energy and help you burn more). I wouldn't want to spend my 1550 all on pie and chocolate. LOL

There's a lot to it scientifically if you wanted to look into that, but I don't have any intention of taking on any particular diet. I want to be at peace with food and just eat what I need without restricting myself too much (only within the bounds of good nutrition and common sense). I'm in no big race to lose the extra weight, I just want to get to where my weight will level out and don't overeat anymore.

I'm surprised Wifezilla hasn't weighed in on this one. She's the no-carb queen. :)

Latest posts