Why I am Fat

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I began my adventure into the air with aerobic exercising this week :)! Just walking . . . and, perhaps, this adventure began last week when I over-did it and had to get back into covering any distance at all with a couple of gentle strolls.

First, I thought I'd draft a partner into this effort so like Journey, I took a dog for a walk:

downsize-3.jpg

This is my daughter's dog about 2 months ago. She has grown from 4 pounds to 4.75 pounds and I thought she could use the exercise to burn off some unwanted calories. Penne and I visited 2 parks . . . it was sniff, sniff, sniff, sniff - in one direction. Then a dead run from however far we got, back to the warmth of the pickup!

I even tried carrying her from one end of a park to the other. Then it was sniff, sniff, sniff, sniff - until Penne caught sight of the pickup . . . .

So, DW and I went out (without borrowing a dog) and walked 1.5 miles. It took us nearly an hour. Half way thru, I sat down and took my pulse. I don't suppose that anyone would be surprised that my pulse was only 84bpm covering the ground that slowly :rolleyes:.

Using the: "subtract your age from 220, then find 65 to 85 percent of that" method, I've calculated that I need to be my father's age, 93 this winter, to get any benefit from an exercising pulse of 84 :/!

One thing I was able to figure out (click) was that if I walk at that speed during all the hours except the time spent eating at the Thanksgiving table on Thursday (23 hours :/), I should be able to burn the calories consumed AND lose 1/2 pound!

Steve
who ordered a wrist band pulse monitor this week :cool:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, don't forget to add in the 4.75 lbs of dog to your total weight and you'll burn a little extra for carrying her! :lol:

Walking outside with an enthusiastic, furry companion definitely has more benefit for my spirits than walking a treadmill in my creepy basement. Yea for fresh air!

Today is a wonderful, mild, sunny day for a walk. I think I'll get off this silly computer and go take one!
:weee

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not to sure about the mathmatics of it , but I think I am fat cause I eat to much. Lately It seems to cost more and more to stay this way. If the price of food keeps going up I just dont know how I will be able to afford to stay this way. LOL

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Now there's an idea. The economics diet. Write a book and you just might get your 15 minutes of fame. :lol:

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
That would be a good book. We could make up new deseases like financial Anarexia, Check book balemia. economic fasting, there will be alot more also. sorry to be driving your thread off a cliff Steve.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, I like this, Collector!

Remember my original post was about the idea that I got fat when food was cheap!

You can look at any food and then check on the price over time, then adjust things for inflation. - tedious - But, the Farm Bureau gave us the price of a once-a-year, complete meal.

My idea was that I was skinny when food was fairly expensive. It commanded a greater part of the average household budget back in those days even without the higher prices.

Income went up, food cost went down, I gained weight.

Steve

adoptedbyachicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am saving money with my newer healthy eating because there are few things I can have for lunch if I don't take food to work with me. Eating drive thru is just not much of an option anymore. The higher vegies and lower meat is cost saving, but the pasta and rice being lower is not. Replacing the volume/satisfaction of those with vegies is more expensive I think. So it might even out for the home made meals.

Restaurants that have light menus often charge premium for those items. Some others you will see the lighter and seniors fair in the same section and they are less. Breakfast is the worst, places that have the 2 eggs, bacon sausage and ham all in hash browns for $4.95 here will charge you $11 if you order 2 eggs poached on dry toast a la carte. Go figure.

I like the book ideas. I think it should be done!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I began my first adventure into aerobic snow shoveling today. My adventure will continue until temperatures drop overnight into the single digitS'!

About the same time that it dawned on me what was going on outside, I realized that Miranda was on teevee with the Morning Stretch. Of course, the prospect of pain and the cold helped focus my attention on the tube :p.

I should have gotten back into regular stretching 2 weeks ago when gardening activities came to an end. Miranda made me pay a price for a late start :/ by taking the entire 25 minutes for standing exercises without that break for the getting down on the floor.

I have always headed off to a bowl of malt-o-meal at that break. My excuse is that I don't know if I'd be able to regain a vertical position if I get down on the floor :rolleyes:. Who knows? Maybe this will be the year that I go ahead and give the floor exercises a go :)!

Dog-sitting today :cool:. My dear daughter, who doesn't like to do things by half measures, brought home another tiny dog (Fr. bulldog/pug/something small). I've decided against carrying bricks on my daily walks but maybe I'll go pick up Penne and, between the 2 of them, add a good 8 pounds to carry! I mean, that's the weight of a standard brick anyway and should help with traction in this snow ;).

Steve
who needs to find a use for the last of his beefsteaks today (maybe an omelet :)) . . . the tomato plants growing in the greenhouse all summer will be lost to the cold so I will also harvest a handful of cherries.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Snow already!!?? We've had a few flakes in the air- but no shovel exercise, yet... How cool is that- still ripe tomatoes and snow on the ground. Have you grown those tomatoes in the greenhouse the entire season- or did you move them in when it got cold? You have a little heat in there, right?
Dogs are very motivating. I have two smalls, one large. One thing about walking 2 dogs- those leashes always get twisted- usually around my legs! You might want to invest in a leash with 2 clips on the end- this way they can't take off in two different directions!

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
yes we do have snow I have been out shoveling, thawing out chicken water and all we are currently at 21F here and that is as warm as it will get I'm thinking.

Latest posts