Why I am Fat

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
-21C = -6 Fahrenheit
50 kph = 31 mph

Yeah, cold and windy weather should up the ante not just with calories but pulse, don't you think?

I will have to be out there again in a short while so that the kids don't leave frozen foot prints on the sidewalk on their way home. As it continues to snow lightly.

I had to use my garden gloves at 5am since I didn't want to go back in the bedroom and risk waking DW to get heavier gloves. The skin promptly split on my little finger out there! That's gotta count for something!

It is really never humid here. A drenching rain only happen about twice a year. There will be fog the next morning and when that blows away, it is dry again. Snow doesn't melt; it sublimates. In other words, it just kind of disappears :rolleyes: after laying around for awhile.

For miles around where I am, the ground is so porous that puddling never occurs except off the side of a road. A drop of water continues down at around 30mph until it hits the aquifer, about 100 feet below the soil surface.

S ;)'

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yikes! You guys were featured on the new last night. Looks like a real mess out there! Hope you are staying warm and safe...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I'm fine but that means I have retreated into an insulated cocoon :hide!

Yesterday, I felt that there was no need to go anywhere. Today, I made that last-minute visit to the supermarket . . . at, the last minute. (Well, early in the morning to avoid a crowd.) My decisions as to where I was going and how I was going to get there was based entirely on road conditions.

It is wonderful to have options. If I'm well-prepared and attentive, about the only way I can be the cause of trouble is making decisions a little too spontaneously. One can't get away with spontaneity on a sheet of ice . .
:ep
After poking my way to and from the market, it was puppy-sitting again and a nap. I just realized that I had zero exercise today! With a 5 to 8mph breeze, the daytime high was 9F after an overnight low of -10F so I don't feel that I missed anything in the way of outdoor activity :cool:.

My food intake has been limited in anticipation of tomorrow's feast :p. My only indulgence was 2 small cupcakes that DD forced on me as payment for puppy-sitting.

Steve :)

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well Steve, it looks like we survived this round of stormy weather. The scale says I lost 2lbs this week mostly due to the storm im sure. so I think we can safely say that the blizzard diet is also effective. coure I didnt eat any cupcakes though, mainly becouse nobody offered.

adoptedbyachicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Well we warmed up to -3 C today so that's about 27 F, not bad at all. I'm glad it did not get to the mucky stage as that would just make for lots of ice, and a surface skin of ice for sealing the soil. Then come spring the melt can't soak up, it has to run off. Here the soil is high clay so we have enough run off as it is, we don't need a second excuse.

I have been really good I think about balance for calories in and out. Been studying lots so just making vegy soups for dinner and going really light on lunch. I find starting the day with a good meal sets me off well. If tomorrow is as nice I'll be hiding the fencelines to make sure all is well just before it's a snowshoe adventure. that's what they say anyway, this winter the snow will get deep. I guess time will tell.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
it was a terrible day here... maybe 40 if I was lucky... with chilled wind...

Which of course makes me want comfort food. Then my I found out my grandfather passed away... leaving me wanting more comfort food...

AND I'm sick as sick can be... so more comfort food.

For a sick person I ate more garbage today then I even touched on Thanksgiving. By tomorrow I'm looking at an additional 3 lbs on the scale!!!! :hit

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, vfem, sorry to hear about your grandfather... The psychology of food is so complicated. No one can doubt that there is such a thing as "comfort food". I swear I can hear pasta calling my name, on these dark, cold nights of winter!
Hoping your day is brighter and that you are feeling better...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am sorry about your grandfather and that you don't feel well, V. You will need to take good care of yourself. Your weather forecast doesn't look too good in the short-term but there should be sunshine, later in the week. Be careful on the frosty mornings after the gray skies and rain blows away.

When I am sick, fruit juices and tea have about the only things that appeal to me. About as heavy as I can go is V8 and dry toast.

I don't get sick very often. It has been a year since I had a cold/flu and that was very unusual. I've had some problems with my stomach in recent years. It is one of those situations where I feel better after eating and not so good when I'm hungry . . .

The costs of things, including lots of silly stuff, is covered in the cost of the "12 days of Christmas." I didn't turn the sound on so don't know what the guy was saying but you may enjoy turning the pages of the pop-up storybook with your little girl, V.

"Just the facts, ma'am" - for me. I enjoyed comparing costs of the Lords a-leaping and Maids a-milking. Big jumps this year over last few years for things like 5 Golden Rings. Still, the increase since 1984 seems reasonable and may show that we are really on a gold standard whether we say we are or not.

If you can find the work, entertainment looks like a good field to be in. Minimum wage Maids a-milking have had a dismal 16 years by comparison. Keep the laying geese and sell the partridge and turtle doves!

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry for the loss of your grandpa, V. :( My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I know it's especially hard this time of year. :hugs

Hey, have any of you guys tried www.myfitnesspal.com ? I started it last week and already lost 3 lbs. It's all free and they do all the calculations for you. They have a forum where you can talk to others and ask questions. You log your daily food and exercise and at the end of the day when you're done, it will say "if every day were like today, in 5 weeks you'd weigh ###." It's very eye-opening and I found that I really needed the accountability and the realization that a little bite here and there adds up! It's helped motivate me a lot, so I thought I'd pass it on. :cool:

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks guys... I don't think everything is going to sink in until I'm feeling better. I am a good couple of days from coming back around to good though. :(

Latest posts