Why Naural Insect Control Works Better

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've found that when pests show up the best thing to do is nothing at first. See if the situation won't balance out by itself. Most of the time it does but that means you won't have picture perfect veggies. There will be some holes in the leaves of greens and you will lose some fruit but so long as the losses are acceptable it's no problem.
If I get hot spots I first look to see if predators are present. If they aren't I use "commando tactics". Spray only th hot spots and leave the rest of the garden alone. The temptation is to load a sprayer up with rotenone or neem and then "use up" what is left by spraying everything in the garden till it's used up. Bad idea.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I agree. If you have a garden, you're gonna have insect problems....but if it's at an acceptable level, just "go with nature's flow"....bugs gotta eat, too.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We notice when things are happening, and I think...should I treat anything or how bad is this going to get. Like recently, I was thinking about spraying some soap mix on some flowers, and my peas to help with the aphids I saw coming on... then I got out and I see a dz ladybugs and some ladybugs larvae that was hatched. Best to walk away and let them be. :D

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You have to interpret that according to your crop though. It's hard to see how you could be succesful with any of the cabbage family without BT for the loopers.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In the UK, they cover the cabbage, brocolli, sprouts, ect....with netting to keep out bugs and pigeons. It's an option...course, depending on the size of the garden area affected.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Believe me, I am knocking on wood as I type this- but, I have always grown cabbage and never had an insect problem.... some of the outer leaves might get damaged by snails, but nothing worse than that...
I posted earlier about cucumber beetles. I thought my plants were going to be goners. I started hand picking and squishing- and it has made a huge difference! Leaves are healthy looking and finding very few beetles. I will keep a very close eye on them, for future hatching, but hand picking does help!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
lesa said:
Believe me, I am knocking on wood as I type this- but, I have always grown cabbage and never had an insect problem.... some of the outer leaves might get damaged by snails, but nothing worse than that...
I posted earlier about cucumber beetles. I thought my plants were going to be goners. I started hand picking and squishing- and it has made a huge difference! Leaves are healthy looking and finding very few beetles. I will keep a very close eye on them, for future hatching, but hand picking does help!
That far North your cabbage butterflies are only seen in Summer. Here in San Diego we have them year round.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ah, that explains it! I guess you have to pay some price for living in gardening paradise! And I get the constellation prize - no cabbage moths in the winter!!

Latest posts