Why overnight in the fridge?

ninjapoodles

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm making a very simple recipe for peach preserves, and it calls for the peaches, sugar, and lemon juice to be brought to the simmer, then cooled, covered, and refrigerated overnight, before being simmered again for 15 minutes and processed.

Does anyone know why the overnight holding in the fridge is included? What does that accomplish?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ninjapoodles said:
I'm making a very simple recipe for peach preserves, and it calls for the peaches, sugar, and lemon juice to be brought to the simmer, then cooled, covered, and refrigerated overnight, before being simmered again for 15 minutes and processed.

Does anyone know why the overnight holding in the fridge is included? What does that accomplish?
Yeah, don't skip it, it has something to do with the natural pectin in the peaches -- getting it 'out' in usable form, or something like that. Sorry to be so technical LOL. The same is often done for other no-added-pectin jams/jellies where you want to preserve the fresh taste of the fruit rather than boiling the bejeebers out of it.

Have fun (mmmm, peaches!),

Pat

ninjapoodles

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oh, OK, that makes sense. The recipe doesn't use as much sugar as it would for, say, jam. I'm excited about finishing it tomorrow! I think I bought some of the last peaches in Arkansas yesterday. :D

Latest posts