Why

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
All good reasons that I should not have mown my yard today. But like Willy Nelson's reasons to quit, they don't outnumber all the reasons why.
1. It has been raining every day for most of the past two weeks. Not a lot of rain, but enough sprinkles to keep the grass wet.
2. Parts of the lawn have not been mown yet for the first time this year and it is getting out of control.
3. The riding mower is acting up in the worst way possible. Dripping oil, losing compression, and needing a rest more than the old lady riding it does.
4. I fear I will soon be without a riding mower at all and the four hours of mowing will quickly expand to well over twice/three times/four times that or more.
5. I foolishly fertilized the two newest parts of the lawn so they are growing by leaps and bounds in the cool, damp weather here in south-est, central-est Wisconsin.
6. There is no one else to mow if I don't and only one gas/push mower that has 1/4 the cutting swath of the rider.
7. Contrary to the opinion of some flock owners, chickens do not 'mow' the yard in any consistent or practical manner.
8. All of the lawn area is growing quickly because of the rainy, cool weather.
9. Some places -- like in the gully or along the road -- are to rough, hilly, and uneven for the push mower to go safely.
10. DH won't allow goats, there is no fencing for goats, I don't know anyone with goats to invite over for a meal of fresh-grown lawn.
11. DH can't find the scythe to cut the highest of the grass.
12. Neither DH nor I can work the gas weed-whacker and son didn't stop by this weekend to clear around the coop and garden sheds.
13. I had no intention of purchasing another riding mower when I am looking for a 45 hp (or so) tractor for all the other chores around the property.
14. Neither DH nor I can run the big tractor with the field mower. Son did go over a lot of the really tall grass and weeds with that earlier this week, but the cutting is rough and in need of a leveling cut with a finish mower.

CrazyFeathers

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We picked up our first rider for 50 dollars and no lie it cut better than those zero turn mowers that tend to miss the corner grass when mowing too fast. My husband mowed one day (rarity) hit a big obvious ant hill and locked up the motor, sad day. We purchased a Saber for 100 dollars and she is a great mower spent a little on repairs, does need a new seat, I use a pillow case to sit on so my legs don't get scratched up, got new blades and have been using her for 3 years. I know my mower is female because "she gets the job done" lol.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
@CrazyFeathers, my mowers are all things -- neither male or female. Spouse was well known for getting things done, better than I do, so I hesitate to give a gender to things.

@Nyboy, you are running in the wrong crowd if that is your definition of female. I am soft spoken and even tempered! So, you're wrong on all three counts.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mowing a wet lawn on a riding mower is dangerous, too, if you have steep sided ditches to mow, that the highway people created and left to you to maintain, you take your life in your hands every time you attempt to mow. We are trying to find a solution for this issue right now.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
We don't assign gender to the thing, but if it was made poorly or if it were designed for maximum inconvenience, with the most irrational and illogical design, Mother and I will often say at the same time, "Must have been made by a man...." :gig

Latest posts