1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Help for this member with her Peach tree - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Wild leeks / ramps bare root availability

Discussion in 'Fruits & Vegetables' started by SprigOfTheLivingDead, May 15, 2019.

1. May 15, 2019
    Rhodie Ranch

Rhodie Ranch Garden Addicted

I happened to get an assigned Mystery Shop out the way of The Grange. I dropped by and all they had left were Walla Walla bunches of onions. Like 75% off too. They also had a variety of seed potatoes. Its the end of our season out here.

flowerbug and ducks4you like this.
  2. May 16, 2019
    Beekissed

Beekissed Garden Master

We've got ramps all over this state, so I'm familiar with what you are talking about. My brother planted some down in a wood lot at the bottom of the meadow last year and they are doing very well this year. We'll not harvest any this year and let them continue to spread there.

Can't remember which seed catalog I was in earlier this year and saw where you could order some ramps for planting....not seeds, but actual plants. Saw some for sale on Etsy too.

3. May 17, 2019
    flowerbug

flowerbug Garden Addicted

ask her if she'd like some hard neck garlic. it is very good and strong garlic. i can save some to send once it finishes up. it will survive any winter MN throws at it. :) you can treat it like a green spring onion if you want.

SprigOfTheLivingDead likes this.
  4. May 18, 2019
    digitS'

digitS' Garden Master

I enjoy having shallots. I don't believe that they would have any problem being planted here in the fall. However, I've always put them in the garden in early spring. Several times as seeds sown in a little, season-long, dedicated piece of ground.

Leeks, I really don't know about fall planting, either. I've never left them in the ground. I'm with your DW on having different varieties in the onion family. It's not that we eat so many onions ... well, maybe it is :rolleyes:.

Each variety/group/species is different from the other. And, it's like this vegetable is so commonly used in our cooking that many of us get in a rut by what is available in the produce section of the soopermarket.

Break free! Instead of onions in your soup, try leeks. Instead of sauteed onions for your gravy, try shallots. No. They won't light your hair on fire. Quite the opposite.

Garlic, certainly we use that but in such limited amounts and clearing nearly all of the gardens every fall, it doesn't matter too much if I grow it or not. Of course, I could be wrong ...

;) Steve

flowerbug and ducks4you like this.
  5. May 21, 2019 at 6:58 PM
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master

Steve, I’ve broken free! Haha

My spring onions flowered and got almost as big as leeks. I harvested them and have been using them as regular onions. Put a big one cut in half in my pinto beans. Taste just like regular onions! Haha

Mary

6. May 22, 2019 at 12:42 AM
    flowerbug

flowerbug Garden Addicted

we got our plants today at the greenhouse.

they had ramps in 1 gallon pots for about $9.

eek!

ducks4you likes this.