Wild West Gardening

dipence71

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Well we have gone from super flood, 10+inches of rain to temps of 100* with heat index of up to 115*. So my garden SUCKS!!!!

no tomatoes, lettuce, radishes, carrots, onions, all gone!! either flooded or chocked out by weed that took over whe the garden was a sink whole of mud and muck, I would sink and lose my shoe.
Cukes and zucchini are growing but havent seen any actual veggies, so maybe still hope for a few.
green beans I dug out of the weeds and had enough to cook a mess with fresh bacon, yuuummyy.

bugs got most of my fruit trees and grapes raspberry blackberry blueberry just are not growing and producing except one plant and hopefully will get a good harvest from it but not holding my breath. strawberries were very poor producers this yr as well..

Just a crappy year I think!!!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh no d!!! I have had years like that, but I was only planting flowers at that time. "There is always next year!" seems to be the gardener's battle cry :p Is there anything you can plant for a fall crop?

dipence71

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
not really sure but will look into it. just haven't had time to research what would be a good fall producer here. I am thinking about doing lettuce inside though. I really miss my lettuce.

will get on that asap!!!

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I visited Colorado Springs once when I was fourteen. I thought if I ever just pick up and moved somewhere it would be there. No such luck. Pike's Peak is awesome and the community was very nice but I remember that everyone joke that if you didn't like the weather just wait 15 minutes.

cityfarmer

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I do believe I have gotten frost bitten and sun burned in the same day gardening in Colorado Springs--

What about carrots, cauliflower, or broccoli??

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I haven't had any success with any of those. Now Chinese cabbage is a different story. It wasn't heading, so I cut it for the leaves and froze them for cabbage roles. It grew back and it should be read to head in a couple of weeks when our weather cools off. So 2 crops from one planting. This is going on the permanent list!

Latest posts