Will pumpkins split from to much rain?

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have a pumpkin that is just about ready to pick but we may be getting a bunch of rain tomorrow on already saturated soil. Does anyone know if they split like watermelons or am I worried for no reason.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know.

Pumpkins are something of a dry-land crop.

They require little water through their growing season.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know.

Pumpkins are something of a dry-land crop.

They require little water through their growing season.

Steve

whuh?!

they grow them here without problems that i've ever noticed (aside from borers, squash bugs and the other issues)...

also recall those giant pumpkins grown in Alaska, they are constantly worrying about having enough moisture on those.

i guess i'm not sure i agree, perhaps you are thinking more of gourds?

either ways though, i've never seen a squash split from moisture changes. i can't say anything about the summer types though because i rarely grow them, but i don't recall anyone ever saying anything about splitting on those either.

the issue that you may find is molding on the outside if the moisture levels are too high and there are conditions that encourage molding. normally a squash/pumpkin won't have mold issues from a few rain events.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I shouldn't have written "dry-land" as in no irrigation.

"provide supplemental irrigation totaling 1.5 inches of water every 10 days during the hottest months of the summer." OKState Univ

"Water Requirements: 15 to 20 inches from June through September" Texas A&M

Since their weight consists so much of water weight, giant pumpkins for competition are another story.

Steve

Latest posts