will stump roots mess up a garden

motherhen

Leafing Out
Reaction score
in my backyard, i have alot of stumps. I wanna plant my first garden out there but theres so many stumps, theres not alot of room for a garden. so will the roots interfere with the seeds i wanna plant?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome Motherhen! I think you could garden around your stumps. Are they old? Or have they been cut recently? What kind of trees were they? ( I'm wondering if they are the type that will sprout from roots as Aspen trees do ) Maybe a little more information on what you want to grow in that area could help us help you better. :)

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
motherhen said:
in my backyard, i have alot of stumps. I wanna plant my first garden out there but theres so many stumps, theres not alot of room for a garden. so will the roots interfere with the seeds i wanna plant?
That's what the first settlers here were faced with. They cut down the trees and farmed between the stumps. I had a garden in Oklahoma like that and my first year was a doozy. I never saw such big veggies.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
As they break down, they'll actually make for nice soil. For right now, you'll want to have your soil tested by your county ag extension service and see if you need to make any amendments for soil pH (may be slightly more acidic) or nutrient difficiencies (pine trees are heavy feeders).

ETA: and :welcome !

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
At least in WA, when we have a big pine tree stump we want to get rid of... we get a good long wood bit, and drill a few hundred holes into the top of the stump. Rain water fils up the stumps, bugs show up, and the stump gets soggy and rotten in a few years.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a couple stumps in my main garden area. We pulled a lot of them up, with the tractor- but a few remain. I just garden right around them. Can make a fun platform for something in containers.

GrowsLotsaPeppers

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
It's that container idea that you can use, if the earth won't till very well. We use those here in California to work around ground that's otherwise not all that great for gardening, or would have to be repurposed drastically from what it has been doing. Not everyone is willing or able to pull out 200 sf ft of nasty concrete. At least, not all at once.:p

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Your biggest thing will be your annoyance with the space they take up.

My last yard had tons of cut down trees. I had no problem gardening, except for the aforementioned annoyance.

You'll love it when they break down. You'll be annoyed waiting for them to do so!