Will these kind of pickling cucumbers

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OK here goes.

Picture taking a tomatoe cage and cutting the wire on one side so you can open it up. It will spring but only open about half way making a half circle or "rainbow" shape. Set it one the ground with your ends of the half circle on the ground so one end is setting right by the base of the plant. Set the plant as it starts to grow onto the cage and it will do the rest of the work itself. If you use larger openings (like concrete wire) for your cages like I do the cucumbers will actually hang down from the bottom so you don't have to look for them when picking.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Grow 4 Food said:
OK here goes.

Picture taking a tomatoe cage and cutting the wire on one side so you can open it up. It will spring but only open about half way making a half circle or "rainbow" shape. Set it one the ground with your ends of the half circle on the ground so one end is setting right by the base of the plant. Set the plant as it starts to grow onto the cage and it will do the rest of the work itself. If you use larger openings (like concrete wire) for your cages like I do the cucumbers will actually hang down from the bottom so you don't have to look for them when picking.
Ooooohhhh, I like that. I like that a lot. I'm thinking if you make them big enough you could probably grow brassicas and maybe other cool season veggies that would do well in the shade. Ever try it?

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OaklandCityFarmer said:
Grow 4 Food said:
OK here goes.

Ooooohhhh, I like that. I like that a lot. I'm thinking if you make them big enough you could probably grow brassicas and maybe other cool season veggies that would do well in the shade. Ever try it?
Now i know what to do with all these old bent up rusty mater cages i found :D
Thanx fer the great tip.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Grow 4 Food said:
OK here goes.

Oh, I like that, too! It just proves, once again, that you can always learn something new! Thank you! :happy_flower

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The bent cages is how I stumbled across it too. I happened to see one laying on the ground and it just looked like a "trellus" and theres the rest of the story!:lol:

Latest posts