Will This work?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
My new driveway broke the bank. I hate dragging hoses all over my yard. I do want to put in a sprinkler system, but it will have to wait a year or 2. Can I dig a shollow trench and bury a heavy duty hose. It would be about 150 feet. I would turn off water before cold weather. would it work for a season or 2? Thanks

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know why it wouldn't work, Nyboy.

I've got a 75', 3/4" heavy-duty hose that runs between a garage and a fence (must be all of 18" of weed-covered space). The original hose was there for about 10 years and was put down by the property-owner for our garden use. It was only just replaced by yours truly this year. (The tenant had said he'd replace it 2 years ago but . . :rolleyes:).

I mean, the darn thing was essentially underground! I had to screw the new hose to it and drag the thing out at the same time as pulling the new one in. Back in business :).

But, why don't you just use black pipe (poly)? I had one that ran farther than that thru an entire bank of junipers, across a gully and to my vegetable garden for 7 or 8 years. Once again, it lay on the surface but was under bushes and trees. When your automatic system goes in, I imagine that this is what they will use anyway.

Pvc pipe is easy to put in and you can be more confident that there won't be leaks. After all, it is used commonly for residential waterlines. Both pvc and polyethylene tubing are a good deal cheaper than heavy-duty hoses ;).

With any of these, you should be giving some thought to how they will drain for the winter.

Steve

edited: sorry, not ABS pipe -- polyethylene tubing

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
We do that, only we run the hose through a piece of conduit. The conduit stays for the winter- and we pull the hose out. Works great!

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, it will work.

My advise is to buy PVC throughout the year and store it in a covered place. A pipe here and there seems cheap. Then, get yourself a change jar to save for your heads.
Before you know it, you'll be ready to dig your trenches!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
We buried a hose that lasted for 30 years. The only reason we stopped using it was we put in a shallow well and dug the whole place up putting 6 hydrants all over the property that will be used for animals and irrigation. They are winter safe. The old hose got dug up in the process and it was still intact.

Latest posts