Will Throw This Out

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
England is the home of the English language. Of course, there are dialects elsewhere but in England, differences were/are so pronounced ... so to speak ;). Perhaps nothing shows that better than the most common term in every area for what is thrown away:

EC9qFS_XkAAkhdm.jpeg

digitS'

Last edited:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Funny... I was told that "English" didn't get corrupted until it came over here. ;) What an amazing difference, for regions so closely spaced. I don't think we have that much variation coast-to-coast.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Favorite, @flowerbug ?

First off, I would have thought "offal" refers to intestines. Awful sounding for a bit of this and that, no longer of use. I'm also surprised that, what must be about the most likely American term "garbage," has such narrow common use in England. Lumber? Useful building materials? Maybe the useful term in those locations is just "boards"?

Rummaging around, I will go for "rammel." I once knew a guy whose parents must have thought Rommel was a suitable name. Really? The same as one of Hitler's generals? A very, very untrustworthy dude. He went from being an officer in the U.S. military to serving time in Leavenworth, not long after discharge.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Favorite, @flowerbug ?

First off, I would have thought "offal" refers to intestines. Awful sounding for a bit of this and that, no longer of use. I'm also surprised that, what must be about the most likely American term "garbage," has such narrow common use in England. Lumber? Useful building materials? Maybe the useful term in those locations is just "boards"?

Rummaging around, I will go for "rammel." I once knew a guy whose parents must have thought Rommel was a suitable name. Really? The same as one of Hitler's generals? A very, very untrustworthy dude. He went from being an officer in the U.S. military to serving time in Leavenworth, not long after discharge.

Steve

there used to be a show on tv when i was young called _The Desert Fox_ (i am more the Dessert version) that was fun but i sure don't recall now much of any of them, but i'm sure if i saw one i'd know what it was within a few moments.

i don't know how much it was based upon Rommel as i only did much reading on his exploits later. for some reason tanks and tank battles did catch my interest and also playing some of those complicated board games that can take many hours to figure out, set up and then weeks to play. gaming was a fun social thing to do along with playing cards. i liked those versions of games even more than the more recent computer games because they are turn based (so you can take a break between turns if you want) and don't rely upon a fast connection to the internet or/well for that matter a constant level of attention. you can do a battle of the Civil War while talking to Mom and having brunch and listening to Elvis Christmas music. for some years i was enjoying the game called Battle for Wesnoth (which is still there if you want to waste many cold winter hours playing turn based fantasy type stuff).

Latest posts