Wilted Zucchini Plant with Yellowing Leaves

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Okay, it has been crazy around my house. My husband has been in the hospital for a week and I've been trying to keep up with the farm, work, visiting the hospital, doctor visits and watering the garden. I missed a day watering my zucchini in the 55 gallon drum that I cut in half and use as a planter. The older, outer leaves which rest against the rim of the drum are turning yellow and dying. The inner leaves are standing up straight and really green doing fine otherwise.

So my question is, do the outer older leaves die off? Could this be because of damage from the wilt and resting on the rim? Should I be looking more carefully at the stem for VB? It is actually two plants and it's really tight around the stem.

ETA: Picture from Monday, you can see one outer leaf already starting to yellow before the wilt.
6832_garden2_012.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hangin', you've got lots to take care of, don't be worrying too much about lower leaves on veggies. Here is Wishing You and Yours the Very Best :hugs!

Leaves slowly lose their usefulness to the plant as they age. It is normal for some of the lower and oldest ones to yellow. If you haven't had rain, just throw water in all directions for a few days and attend to immediate concerns.

Take care of yourself and I hope you can make use of your garden for quiet moments as time allows.

Steve

edited to add: if you are worried about pests in that leaf stem - just break it off, drop it on the ground and stomp all over it.

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I finally got to settle down this weekend. We will find out tomorrow when my hubby has to have surgery. Poor fellow, he has to have his entire colon removed. The proverbial buck will be stopping here.

The bottom leaves died, but it still looks okay. Since we had the "semi-tornado" move through I've lost two tomato plants. When it rains it pours. :/

Latest posts