Winning the Tomato Battle....?

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Two weeks ago I posted pics asking what was wrong with my tomatoes. Well, I know at least one of the problems was my fear of doing anything. They were infested with bugs (a battle I still fight daily) and dying of thirst. So I pruned heavily, sprayed with soapy water, used a sprayer on the hose to blast the little buggers off. Then I tilled thru the rows and added some goat poo. And everything has gotten a good soaking regularly. And this is what they are looking like now....

IMG_2127.jpg

IMG_2128.jpg

IMG_2129.jpg

IMG_2131.jpg

IMG_2132.jpg

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Say they sure look happy now!

Great pictures. I sure wish I had so much room! :fl

You are sure to get lots of mators out of that crop.
The best of luck to you! :bee

I would love to see the harvest. :pop

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is a huge difference!! Good for you- I am sure your growing season is long enough to get a great harvest! Enjoy!

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
When I look at the other pics I am still in shock at the difference. Before they went south I was picking 2-3 5 gallon buckets every 3-4 days from them! Then disaster struck and BAM no a single tomato. But man, they are loaded now....I am really hoping to end the summer with a good bang!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
They do look much healthier now.... how's the blooms and stuff coming along? Being late in the season you think you're going to be able to harvest stuff?

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
They do look much healthier now.... how's the blooms and stuff coming along? Being late in the season you think you're going to be able to harvest stuff?
They are blooming like crazy! And yes, I do think I'll get a decent harvest before our first frost. That's why I fought so hard to save them - they were already well established and trying to bloom, just needed some attention. If I had started with baby plants the idea of getting anything of consequence would have been questionable. But we shouldn't see out first frost until mid to late November. Plenty of time for those Early Girls to whoop out some 'maters... :) Brandywines may be another story but we'll see ;)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
We in Illinoi have had one of the WORST gardening years for tomatoes because of TOO MUCH RAIN!!!!

If I had not planted nearly 60 plants, I wouldn't have had a decent crop. Green tomatoes came early and sat and sat and sat and sat and sat and sat on the vine. When they turned red you had to use/eat them right away. If you picked off a green one by mistake it went sour by the time it turned, off of the vine. I even have one plant that has not produced even ONE sweet fruit! I am hoping for a drought for the next two months. You can have ALL OF OUR RAIN!

Latest posts