Winter, '22-'23

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Upstate New York:

Here at home, the temperature never rose above freezing yesterday and I don't expect it to, today. It was 8°f yesterday (-13°C), a little warmer this morning at 11°f (-12C). The sun supposedly rose at 7AM but sunrise will lose another 30 minutes over the next 30 days.

Cool weather came late, cooler weather - later yet. Snow remains on the ground and rooftops from snowfall 2 weeks ago. More may be added in a few days but nothing like Upstate New York!

Filled to the maximum freezers and fresh fruit from near and far, indoor warmth, holidays approaching, short hours of sunlight - I'm appreciating the reflected light from a snow covered landscape :).

Steve

Last edited:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
The nearby city had their annual Christmas parade today. It was surprisingly large, there were even floats & marching bands from some of the nearby cities. I tried to watch the whole thing (I think it lasted 2 hours) but although the temp was 30F, the wind made it feel much colder. When the coffee stopped warming my hands & they started to get numb, had to retreat to the warmth of my car & head home.

And it's not even really Winter yet... I suppose I'll have to turn in my Wisconsin Man Card now. 🥶

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's 17°f (-8°C) this morning. I think the WS was mistaken predicting another morning in the single digitS'. (I suppose that it is in single digitS', C.)

Yesterday's morning drive was interesting - out, somewhat, into the countryside. Pleased to see that the asphalt was so clear to start off but it steadily deteriorated ... Do not enjoy the teeth-chattering experience of driving on ice after the plows had moved off the snow. Then, to have so much snow left on the roadway that it's being thrown up against the underside of the vehicle ... An arterial was a special mess and almost surprising not to see some cars stuck in a 4-lane road. Turning lanes were all but impassable. AWD is of help but it was fortunate not to have much up and down along the way.

Steve, who has decided today to pass on trip thru a traffic heavy area over about 30 rt miles. where's the need???

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
The nearby city had their annual Christmas parade today. It was surprisingly large, there were even floats & marching bands from some of the nearby cities. I tried to watch the whole thing (I think it lasted 2 hours) but although the temp was 30F, the wind made it feel much colder. When the coffee stopped warming my hands & they started to get numb, had to retreat to the warmth of my car & head home.

And it's not even really Winter yet... I suppose I'll have to turn in my Wisconsin Man Card now. 🥶
It's the WIND!!! Wednesday, high of 34 degrees, but the wind chill made it feel like zero!
Even though we Both live east of the Mississippi, we still get high plains winds. YOU get snow from Alberta clippers. WE often just get the wind and no precipitation.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
...And it's not even really Winter yet... I suppose I'll have to turn in my Wisconsin Man Card now. 🥶

i'd just blame it on the late and very warm fall we had. a few weeks ago it was 75F. no time to acclimate yet...

yes, that's my story for staying inside all day and mostly hiding under a few blankets and not doing much else. i snuck a nap in there too after an early breakfast...

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We vary a little but mostly we wobble between 35-45 at night and 50-60f days across winter. It will get colder by 10 degrees for a week and then let up. And its wet season so a high humidity cold. A light jacket is pretty standard wear most of the time. For some reason in the last 2 January-first 2 February weeks are our 1 or 2 snow days.

Latest posts