Winter care

pon521

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Today I am coimng to you with a problem that concern animals in winter. They are often malnourished and I see that not many people feed them. I also do not have good conditions to do it because I live in a flat on 2nd floor BUT all winter I hang there a bird feeder made of bottle. It is really practical and helpful for birds! Also, when I was living in my hometown in a house with garden I had there a wooden birdfeeder! Birds used it likely! Now, I see that not many prople use such methods...What about you?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Today I am coimng to you with a problem that concern animals in winter. They are often malnourished and I see that not many people feed them. I also do not have good conditions to do it because I live in a flat on 2nd floor BUT all winter I hang there a bird feeder made of bottle. It is really practical and helpful for birds! Also, when I was living in my hometown in a house with garden I had there a wooden birdfeeder! Birds used it likely! Now, I see that not many prople use such methods...What about you?

Just curious...how do you know the birds are malnourished?

I don't feed wildlife. I used to, but have seen the changes in populations of birds, squirrels and deer that were not at all positive for the animals, so I no longer do that. I trust God to take care of His own creation.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the birds that need a lot of food during the winter migrate to warmer places. the rest that stay around forage in the gardens/trees/shrubs. there are plenty of bugs, berries and seeds they can find. we've always had a good diversity of bird species here, but i do aid that by making sure the grackles don't dominate.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Circumstances have been working for and against the local wildlife.

English sparrows are not indigenous but obviously like the local humans, including next door neighbors. The first, built birdhouses and installed about 10 or more of them on her garage wall. She moved but the next neighbor has fed the sparrows millet seed conscientiously this summer. Result: population explosion!

I pointed out to another neighbor how the leaves of his climbing beans were shredding by the sparrows. We had never seen that before. He said that he has grown sunflowers for the birds this winter. I don't know how much all these sparrows can benefit from sunflowers but it might be helpful.

Maybe the Eastern Grey squirrels will be climbing the stalks to eat them. Usually, they find plenty of walnuts (Carpathian) across the road. This year, those two big trees had a big problem as did the Black Locust (Appalachian) and Norway Maples and probably every other deciduous tree around. Maybe it was the continuing drought that encouraged a HUGE number of black aphids to show up in early summer!

They almost sucked the life out of these trees, made a terrible mess below them, and I have not seen so few walnuts in all the time that I have lived here! Squirrels are in trouble.

DD brought me a bird feeder with safflower seed deliberately because squirrels and Starlings are supposed to not be interested in this seed. I'm hoping that the Chickadees benefit and maybe I'll see some Nuthatches this winter.

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
We feed birds-because I like to see them. Deer & turkeys have plenty of food in fields-yes they have to look but combines leave trails for them. As long as deer, turkeys, etc, coyotes have food. God does take care of His own,

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used to feed safflower along with the usual black oil sunflower seed (separate feeders), and the squirrels did leave it alone. For years. And then they started raiding it...no idea why. Because it is so much more expensive than BOSS I quit feeding it.

My sis, who cannot visit without bringing gifts, brought me two huge finch feeders. While she was here we bought niger seed, and I sprang for a "finch mix".
So far no visitors to the mix, but I have seen goldfinches on the niger feeder.

We have had a lot of goldfinches this year, more than I have ever had visit, and they were here all summer.

I was concerned at the absence of our constant chickadees and nuthatches, but I think they are feasting on pine nuts.
It seems to be a season of firsts for me, the pine cones are a bumper crop, and they have all opened and let loose the seeds. The patio table was covered with them every day!
The chickadees nuthatches are still here, I hear them in the woods, they just aren't visiting the feeders.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are no pines real close to yard and garden. I was wondering how the trees are doing with seed production.

We have had a lot of goldfinches this year, more than I have ever had visit, and they were here all summer.

There have been a lot in my garden but, I guess it was 2 years ago, it was kind of insane in the garden because of the male goldfinches, their constant flights and songs!

Pine Siskins, Grosbeaks, Crossbills -- I think that you should have a good location for attracting finches. Celebrate, if they have their own food to forage.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pine Siskins, Grosbeaks, Crossbills -

Oh yes, all of those and many many more.
I made a list one time of the various birds that visited us, I don't remember the count but it was a long list.
I remember reading an ornithologists article that said birds don't really become dependent on seed provided in feeders. They will do just fine if you were to go on a long vacation and the feeders became empty.
I feed them because I like seeing them up close.

Latest posts