Winter Gardening? I'll be honest... never done it before.

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
Am I the only person that associates gardening with spring / summer? Something about that time of year makes me think, "Oh, time to plant a garden."

Does anybody else fall into this trap? Any suggestions on how to remember that there are other times of the year that I can plant food crops? I guess the two big items I can think of are:

1) Find non Spring / Summer food plants that I'm very interested in growing
2) Set a calendar reminder to stick them in the ground

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't bother. Growing season here from peas to pumpkins is late May till September... I guess you have to start most stuff in the house two months early, so season is March through september... or if you consider storage of pumpkins into october, it's march till october.. Almost half a year stretching it... the ground is frozen tonight. :p

mudmum

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I think you may have missed the planting bus!!
I sow my winter crops in Autumn eg broccoli and peas, however you should be able to get some spinach seedlings
Some lettuce also grows in winter, also italian parsley!!

Txchikngardners

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
You know I found tomato plants at the feed store in september so I picked some up. Bsue planted them in big pots and they are making beautiful fruit. If it does not freeze before they turn we will have beautiful red tomatoes, if not delicious fried green tomatoes! We love turnips and greens in the fall, had some today in fact. Now that being said we live in basically the sub tropics here.

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am jealous at those who can plant in early may!! Last night at about 8pm it was 25 deg F outside. All the grass and green life is frozen solid at the moment. But hey, if it's all frozen, no getting chicken poo in your shoes. It's all frozen too.

country freedom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
When my family finally take the plunge and move to the country, I have been looking for ways to make a plan for year-long gardening. My family will eat store bought canned vegies, but I won't, so we eat frozen. The produce at the store sold as "fresh" is outlandishly priced for the most part, fruit included, that I rarely am able to buy alot of what is available there. I don't buy frozen fruit alot, though, has anyone seen the prices!!! I cannot wait 'till we move. Going to learn to can my own vegies and fruit!

Crazy4Chicks

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
i dont do any planting in fall or winter ...yet I use winter to plan where I am going to start my plantings for early spring
, this winter I will be real busy planning the new flowerbeds ( since I am in a new house that is totally without any grass or gardens )
I plan to plant bulbs in the early spring and start my seeds in the house just before spring until it is warm enough outside to plant them.
So I guess I dont do any outside planting in the winter but I do plenty of " dream gardening " LOL

Julie

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
country freedom said:
When my family finally take the plunge and move to the country, I have been looking for ways to make a plan for year-long gardening. My family will eat store bought canned vegies, but I won't, so we eat frozen. The produce at the store sold as "fresh" is outlandishly priced for the most part, fruit included, that I rarely am able to buy alot of what is available there. I don't buy frozen fruit alot, though, has anyone seen the prices!!! I cannot wait 'till we move. Going to learn to can my own vegies and fruit!
I'm guessing they are expensive because they have to buy the food from a warmer place. But here in Arizona we get fresh-real fresh vegies all year because of the warm climate.

country freedom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Chicken_Boy said:
country freedom said:
I'm guessing they are expensive because they have to buy the food from a warmer place. But here in Arizona we get fresh-real fresh vegies all year because of the warm climate.
I can't wait untill I get some land under my feet, dirt between my toes, and under my fingernails! :)

Latest posts