Winter indoor tomatoes

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think that I forgot to show you these. I have 3 toddlers that are often with me or stopping by for a quick tomato. I grew potted Veranda tomatoes by Burpee the last few years. It is just to get a head start on my garden crop. Well the little ones love to pick them and pop them in their mouths. So I started them very early and have some red in the greenhouse, along with a larger variety meant for indoor growing. Oh the thrill on their sweet faces as the picked and ate them. I will put them along the back door in late May, but what sweet success.
DSC_4386.jpeg
DSC_4392.jpeg

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Another note. The tomatoes were not any sweeter than grocery store tomatoes. A quick google told me Epson salts in water would improve their sweetness. It could be that we were too anxious to pick them and they were not red enough. A professional expert I know from a local forum said ES was debunked. I had it, I tried it, they do seem sweeter. However they are also redder. So the jury is out on that one. Before anyone tries it, there are definitely warnings regarding using it too much.

R2elk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Another note. The tomatoes were not any sweeter than grocery store tomatoes. A quick google told me Epson salts in water would improve their sweetness. It could be that we were too anxious to pick them and they were not red enough. A professional expert I know from a local forum said ES was debunked. I had it, I tried it, they do seem sweeter. However they are also redder. So the jury is out on that one. Before anyone tries it, there are definitely warnings regarding using it too much.
Azomite mixed into the potting soil at the rate of 1 tbsp per gallon of potting soil makes a huge difference in the taste. i have a Gold Nugget blooming in the greenhouse now.

Latest posts