Winter Out, Gardening In!

BetterHensandGardens

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm really excited about gardening this year - the critters were fenced out late last year, I've got a new electric vehicle to help me get up and down the hill to the garden (see http://www.betterhensandgardens.com/2010/12/26/christmas-farm-vehicle/), I've been adding the compost made from the goat and chicken bedding to the garden beds, and I just ordered seeds (see http://www.betterhensandgardens.com/2011/02/09/vegetable-seeds-for-the-2011-garden-2/).

Even though we're in Zone 5b, I'm working on my transplant and seed starting schedule this weekend, and am going to start transplants of some of the cold hardy crops. I'm always enthused about spring and gardening, but I think this year I'm finally going to have many of the elements in place to really have a great garden! :weee

Or, maybe I'm delusional from too little sun :hide Anybody else ready for gardening?

Kim_NC

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
:ya We're ready! We're in zone 7a. We get to plant onions and potatoes this weekend. We can start cole crops March 1st. And we'll put lettuce out in cold frames to start for transplants.

I LOVED your E-Z-GO. Looks nice!

Also noticed you're planning Green Zebra tomatoes this year. We grew them, and Aunt Ruby's German Green, last year for the first time. They were great! I saved seed that I hope does well this year.

Interesting notes you had on the Egg Yolk tomato. Never heard of it before.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been ready... however, mother nature is unimpressed! Looking for 6 more inches this weekend! If you knew how much I am looking forward to our predicted 40 degrees next week- you would know how pathetic I truly am!!!! Is your name spelled "Lesa"? I hardly ever find anyone with that spelling!

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
DH & I spent the afternoon buying a yard of soil/compost at the landscaper, & shoveling it into 2 of my new raised beds! I'm exhausted & my hands are sore & cramped up, but I'm EXCITED!!! :ya

(A "yard" of dirt is a LOT more than it sounds. :/ )

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm always ready for gardening :) , its just allowing mother nature to do her thing. The ground is still frozen solid but looks as though this week we're suppose to have a nice thaw!
I'm just happy that I got an order out this Thursday for Park Seed, can't wait until it arrives. Every year I seem to spend too much time ordering, this year I hope all my orders will be mailed fairly early compared to in the past. Can never be too early to order.

BetterHensandGardens

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
lesa said:
I have been ready... however, mother nature is unimpressed! Looking for 6 more inches this weekend! If you knew how much I am looking forward to our predicted 40 degrees next week- you would know how pathetic I truly am!!!! Is your name spelled "Lesa"? I hardly ever find anyone with that spelling!
We're looking forward to some warmer weather finally too; and my name is spelled "Lesa"! I agree, very seldom do I see it spelled that way, and I always notice your posts because of it. :)

BetterHensandGardens

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Kim_NC said:
:ya We're ready! We're in zone 7a. We get to plant onions and potatoes this weekend. We can start cole crops March 1st. And we'll put lettuce out in cold frames to start for transplants.

I LOVED your E-Z-GO. Looks nice!

Also noticed you're planning Green Zebra tomatoes this year. We grew them, and Aunt Ruby's German Green, last year for the first time. They were great! I saved seed that I hope does well this year.

Interesting notes you had on the Egg Yolk tomato. Never heard of it before.
I'm really happy about the E-Z-GO too, our house is at the top of the hill - and it's a fairly steep hike down to the level garden/field - it should make the thought of working in the garden after a day at work a little less daunting. It's already made getting the compost to the garden about 100 times easier.

We ended up with three of those Egg Yolk tomato plants last year, and I didn't keep up with pruning out the suckers, so they went wild. We had more tasty little yellow tomatoes than I had any idea what to do with. If they do well again this year I may try selling some.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I started my pepper seeds this weekend, and I have already started some tomatoes, and my early veggies. We had a really warm weekend, so I've definitely got spring fever! It's going to be about a month before I can get anything into my cold frame, tho, so I have to satisfy myself with just my little "babies." :D

Kim_NC

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Luck be a lady! We're to have beautiful weather in the 60's all week! And dry....although we could use rain toward the annual total....still dry is great for tilling, prepping and planting.

DH is off to the neighbors to get composted horse manure. We have cow, pig, chicken and quail manures of our own composted. But hey, we never turn down manure, especially composted, if time will permit going to get it!

I forgot to mention we're also planting sugar snap peas and garden (English, green) peas this week. And greens like kale, mustard, turnip.

jktrahan

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm ready. I've got garlic and purple onions sprouting up like crazy. Lettuce and radish and broccoli coming up as will under a cold frame and i've been building raised beds and adding compost and soil as fast as i can for the last 3 weeks. Hope to be finished in another 2 or 3 weeks in time to start planting the summer garden. We've been flirting with temps in the lower 70's this week and next after spending 3 days not getting out of the 30's. That's cold for us. lol

Latest posts