Winter Pix Where You Are?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not surprisingly, there haven't been many pictures posted lately . . . the one of Rusty's backdoor just before the snow blocked it a couple years ago stands out in my mind, however :/.

The weather here has been . . . koff . . . koff . . . clear the . . . koff . . . last few days. Okay, the horizon is kind of orange with trapped air/smoke. My Heavens, if I'm not complaining about 1 thing, it's another! Koff!

Anyway, this clarity may be what we can expect for this week and on into next week. I'm actually looking forward to normal precipitation in the 8 to 14 day forecast (Outlooks - click) KOFF! just so that we get some clean air around here! Please Mother Nature! No windstorms now :rolleyes:!

It would also be nice to have a White Christmas! I asked DD what she thought of all of our sunshine the last couple of days. She said, "it would be prettier if there was snow." Oh well, like father like daughter -- complains about everything. Koff.

Weather radar seems to be showing snow in the USA Northeast, today. That's something I really liked about New England - the little country churches and snow! Looked like something that would come with a holiday greeting!

I might have to go about 1,000 feet higher up to get some nice snow pictures (and I can't think of a church up there . . .). But, I was out in the country not far from home yesterday and thought you might like to see a little creek that is in the process of freezing.

image.jpg

Any winter pictures you'd like to share??

Steve

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's a really pretty picture!!

No snow here.. just dead looking grass. My apple trees still have green leaves on them! :lol:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh good topic Steve! It will be fun to see what others are looking at this time of year.
Personally I'm loving the blue sky and mostly sunnier days, and I even still have one customer to do maintenance for since she has no snow. ( Exciting stuff like pine needle cleanup, she doesn't like them in her shrubs or littering the bare beds )

There's not much to look at around the property here, unless you like random piles of stale snow and frozen grass.
In fact my winter loathing kid said yesterday that he wished it would snow. (!) I checked him for high fever, and then he added that it should either get on with the snowing or everything out there melt and get on with getting warmer.

ETA That's a very pretty scene Steve!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Beautiful creek, Steve!! :)

Any fish in there? I bet its nice to live near a creek, I think I would stay there all the time. It sure would be relaxing to hear the water. The long days of old man winter are around the corner. It's not too cold here, hoping the mild weather can last as long as possible :lol:
I was glad to get some Elephant Garlic and some spring flower bulbs in before any cold would freeze them. We might be getting the first frost this week, need to finish picking all the peppers that are still growing in the garden. I can't believe I still have so many peppers this late in the season. The Cubanelle peppers especially have been very productive.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lovely spot, Steve. I could post a pic of my sunflower seedlings that are sprouting under the bird feeder!! It has been a very strange beginning to the winter. We have some snow flurries in our future- but the way I look at it- we have one less month of winter to suffer through!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now wait a minute, Gt!?!

Are you still in NY or down in NC? I haven't had anything like a Cubanelle pepper from the garden in 8 weeks! There have been several mornings with the thermometer in the teens and that should happen tomorrow. In fact, it may not rise above freezing tomorrow - sunshine or no . . . Peppers in December/sprouting Sunflowers - north of the Mason-Dixon?

The creek isn't on my property. We were out for a walk :). It runs down into a small lake. Lots of lakes around here of all sizes. Some of the lakes have no outlet since the water, once it drops down out of the hills, tends to go straight into the aquifer. Even with flowing rivers like the Spokane and Pend Oreille, the water drops thru the river floor to some extent.

This creek may not have trout, Gt. There IS a little waterfall that is just behind the camera. That probably keeps the trout from moving up the creek from the lake which is less than a half mile away.

I'm not offended by dead grass & pine needles framed in a picture :p. There's also something quite lovely about bare branches against the sky. Something that seems a little hard to capture - the harshness of plants that are dormant with the soft, winter sky behind them.

Steve

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
7566_january_2009_014.jpg
This was from a couple of years ago....but this is the norm here 'til the end of April, first part of May sometimes. My front yard by the way.... This was the drift in front of my back door...one hr. later...it was 100% covered.
7566_january_2009_010.jpg

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Now wait a minute, Gt!?!

Are you still in NY or down in NC? I haven't had anything like a Cubanelle pepper from the garden in 8 weeks! There have been several mornings with the thermometer in the teens and that should happen tomorrow. In fact, it may not rise above freezing tomorrow - sunshine or no . . . Peppers in December/sprouting Sunflowers - north of the Mason-Dixon?

The creek isn't on my property. We were out for a walk :). It runs down into a small lake. Lots of lakes around here of all sizes. Some of the lakes have no outlet since the water, once it drops down out of the hills, tends to go straight into the aquifer. Even with flowing rivers like the Spokane and Pend Oreille, the water drops thru the river floor to some extent.

This creek may not have trout, Gt. There IS a little waterfall that is just behind the camera. That probably keeps the trout from moving up the creek from the lake which is less than a half mile away.

I'm not offended by dead grass & pine needles framed in a picture :p. There's also something quite lovely about bare branches against the sky. Something that seems a little hard to capture - the harshness of plants that are dormant with the soft, winter sky behind them.

Steve
Hey Steve!,

No, I'm still in NY. I did go back to NC for Thanksgiving though for a few days. I was glad to plant some Spring bulbs like Lily bulbs and a fig tree I had in my garden there. I hope to go there for Spring I would like to plant more fruit trees to begin the start of an orchard in the back of the property. I can't wait to get other trees planted there, the property I'm sure will look even better :D .

Oh yes I do still have those Cubanelle and other peppers in the garden still. Its crazy how this far up north there are still peppers where other places don't.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We haven't had much winter yet, usually don't get much until Jan or Feb, but here are some shots near my home from last winter just after a big snow storm went through.

7236_winter_2010_1.jpg

7236_winter_2010_2.jpg

7236_winter_2010_3.jpg

7236_winter_2010_4.jpg

I ususally don't take pics of winter, I hate it and usually hibernate if I'm not at work.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hear you about hibernating- but those are really lovely photos. Worth getting bundled up for!

Latest posts