Winter Pix Where You Are?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Thistle',

Isn't that Bing Crosby out there in hip waders casting a fly into Hayden Lake?

If you look closely, you can see the smoke from his briar pipe.

Steve
Yep, that's him. You'll notice that he's wearing his extra heavy duty thermal insulated waders. The sun may be shining but that water is probably just barely above freezing.
Although I can't say I know what the temperature is, you won't catch me putting so much as a digit in it to find out! ;)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've spent my life following Bing around but since he had so many homes in so many places, that may be true for quite a few other people.

About the time I was born in Carmel-by-the-Sea, Bing was building his home on the 13th fairway at Pebble Beach :rolleyes:.

My grandfather spent his final years in Hope, just down the river from JoJo but his family had moved to a home near Garibaldi Provincial Park north of Vancouver, when g'pa was a child. I traveled there as a young guy to visit family, sure enuf :rolleyes: they pointed out what they said was Bing's house on the cliffs somewhere around there.

Then I came up to Spokane and here was the Crosby family home :rolleyes: right in the middle of the city! Moved on to northern Idaho and was even camping on Hayden Lake while Bing Crosby was living down the shoreline. Yeah, I was the guy in the pup tent :rolleyes:.

Steve

You can click a Sparkling snowflake to hear dear old Bing :):

Oooor, click on the tiny Santa and enjoy the Drifters ;):

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
Oh, well actually Jojo, it's two different lakes. Guess I should have mentioned that. The scenes do have a similarity though, probably because the same person was behind the camera.

The first picture is Hayden Lake, and the second is Lake Pend Oreille.
I could tell they were different but like how they look similar - I guess I should have said pic composition. (I didn't explain myself good enough - :idunno )

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
jojo54 said:
thistlebloom said:
Oh, well actually Jojo, it's two different lakes. Guess I should have mentioned that. The scenes do have a similarity though, probably because the same person was behind the camera.

The first picture is Hayden Lake, and the second is Lake Pend Oreille.
I could tell they were different but like how they look similar - I guess I should have said pic composition. (I didn't explain myself good enough - :idunno )
Nope Jojo, it's me! I just re-read your post and it's perfectly clear. :)

Sometimes reading and thinking at the same time is just too much for me!

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I filmed while Dad scattered feed and talked.
The only appearance I make in the film is the sound of my breath in the cold, and my cold footsteps in the snow. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey, that was great, Daisy!

I can remember when turkeys first began to be re-introduced but they just seemed to be rumors for the 1st decade or so. They were probably in NE Washington before the birds got a good start in northern Idaho. I understand that the population easily doubles each year - your dad's comments about the number of young birds seems to bear that out.

You can see how this works with wild turkeys. In SE Asia, home of the chicken, wild birds also come down to hang out with the village flocks. This is generally not appreciated probably for a couple of reasons. Disease may be a concern but also the wild birds aren't as large or, obviously, as manageable as the domestics. It is also a problem with the dilution of the wild genetics and that should be of concern for all of us.

They say that the chicken decides to live with people just as we decide to take care of it. They don't have to live with us in SE Asia. The turkeys didn't have to live with us in Central America but it became mutual beneficial - despite Thanksgiving dinner and other events ;).

Thanks for sharing! :)

Steve

Latest posts