Winter Reading

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I finally picked up and read the novel All the Light We Cannot See, which won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 2014. It's by Idaho's own, Anthony Doerr.

It's a story about European children growing up in World War 2. The French blind girl and the little German boy, who gets caught up in the Nazi war machine.

There are secondary characters and the story leaps ahead near the end of the war to 1974 after some of the characters are adults and established in their post-war lives.

I read 2 Doerr books last year and don't know where I might go now, on the library bookshelf. He writes short stories and that might be best for me. Short, so I can put it down and get to more important things, now and then. After some of this snow melts!

I also have Search Inside Yourself, by Chade-Meng Tan. It's been years since I read a self-help book but ...

Then there is The Longevity Project, another nonfiction - that I was talking about on TEG a day or two ago. That's more of the "self-help" I'm used to ;).

What's on your nightstand?

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nothing on the nightstand, I fall asleep if I read in bed and don't remember a thing!

I do have a stack out in the living room though. I hope to get to them all before work rears it's leafy green head and I'm doomed.

All non fiction this winter, four are biographies of veterinarians in various places in the U.S. . MI, CO, TX, and GA.

I was totally spoiled 40 years ago by reading James Herriot though.
These all promised to be great by the reviews, and they were good, but can't hold a candle to Herriots works. I read those to DH when we were dating, and to my kids as bedtime stories, and off and on through the years and they never get too familiar and worn.

Most of the rest are horse related, anatomy, bitting, training, etc.
And one about Sgt. Reckless, a horse that worked for the Marines
in Korea. Another about Snowman, a former plow horse headed for slaughter that turned into a winning show jumper. Haven't gotten to those yet.

Also in the stack are two of A.W. Tozers works, The Attributes of God, and The Pursuit of God, finished and put into the definite re-read stack.

Oh yeah, one garden book that I hoped would be a fertile bed for my Kids Garden planning, but turns out it isn't what I hoped for.

My husband commented that were few plant or garden books in this winters stack, they're all horse! And that is very true. I think I'll be as dumb as a box of rocks when work starts. I picture me staring at a rhodie and scratching my head. "Hmmm, that's so familiar...but what is it?" Haha.

Sorry for the novella, but you did ask!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think I read James Herriot ... certainly, I watched all those BBC shows multiple times ;).

I know I read Jim Kjelgaard :) , even if I never knew how to pronounce his name. Big Red was ah ... um ... Big Red ... Read, by me as a kid. I think I read all the Red books. Red Old Yeller, too. Ack!

I also perused Walter Farley's Black Stallion and, I think that must go for Man o' War. There were other racehorse books that I remember. Shoot, the first book I can remember reading, altho' I don't remember the title, was about an elephant!

:lol: Steve

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I know that not everyone likes to e-books. But I like. because my little book contains a whole library. For convenience, I have divided all genres in the folder. Gardening, classics, modern literature ... and others. I read for the mood, but every day. Now I read the young and little-known Russian writers. I like many of their works. A friend of my son's writing a book, and sends me a new chapter. I like that too.

There is a special forum. Its founder, also writes books, which are published and sold. I became part of one of them, where he tells the story, in which I was the main participant. Fortunately, under the nickname. :D
I read once, not anymore.
I also love books travelers. And "women's novels" in bad weather.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, if you haven't actually read James Herriots 3 books, you must treat yourself. Maybe since you've watched the TV shows they won't make an impression, but I read them pre-tv and have such vivid mental pictures of the countryside and characters.

I read them to myself first, then when DH and I were courting I started reading the first book aloud to him. When I knew I was coming to a funny part I would start to giggle, then it would turn into helpless laughter before I got to the punch line. There I was drooping with laughter, tears rolling down my face and my patient boyfriend waiting for me to get back to the plot. But he married me anyway. :)

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm tightly wedged into two different series-s.
Mrs. Pollifax Mysteries and the Yada Yada Prayer Group.

@digitS' , I read the entire Jim Kjelgaard series when I was a kid. LOVED THEM!!! Oddly enough, until just now I always thought his name was Jim Kellijard. :hu

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can recommend SGT. Reckless by Robin Hutton.
Good book even if you aren't a horse lover. It's the true story of a small Korean race horse that was bought by a U.S. Marine to help his men carry ammo for the 75mm recoilless rifles during battles in the Korean war.

It's an amazing account of a brave and loyal little mare who went above and beyond what was expected of her in helping her Marines.

She earned her stripes and had actual rank in the military.
She also was a character and had a sense of humor, helping with morale and instilling fierce loyalty in the men she served with.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I finally picked up and read the novel All the Light We Cannot See, which won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 2014. It's by Idaho's own, Anthony Doerr.

It's a story about European children growing up in World War 2. The French blind girl and the little German boy, who gets caught up in the Nazi war machine.

There are secondary characters and the story leaps ahead near the end of the war to 1974 after some of the characters are adults and established in their post-war lives.

I read 2 Doerr books last year and don't know where I might go now, on the library bookshelf. He writes short stories and that might be best for me. Short, so I can put it down and get to more important things, now and then. After some of this snow melts!

I also have Search Inside Yourself, by Chade-Meng Tan. It's been years since I read a self-help book but ...

Then there is The Longevity Project, another nonfiction - that I was talking about on TEG a day or two ago. That's more of the "self-help" I'm used to ;).

What's on your nightstand?

Steve
I love Mitchener and his epic historical novels. I read Poland many years ago and I am trying to start it again. I am of Polish descent but I remember the Polish names being exhausting to keep up with.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am reading Phantoms of the Hudson valley The Glorious Estates of a Lost Era by Monica Randall. Good but sad almost all the house in book have been torn down