Winter Savory

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
On the advice of a friend, who claims that savory is far better a herb to use then sage for chicken or turkey dressing, I bought a winter savory plant. (it certainlysmells nice)

The little info card that came with it says "short lived". Hmm I don't know if that means one month, or one year. Short lived in comparision to what?

As the plant, still in the pot had some pretty robust growth, I pruned some of it back, so I could dry it, and try it. So now what do I do. Plant it in the garden, re-plant in a bigger pot, and move indoors for the winter??

I don't know if I will get seed of it or not, after my pruning it. Maybe I should have held off, but I wanted to try it.

Anybody have any knowledge of this herb? How long will it grow before it croaks?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I had a winter savory plant growing in a very inauspicious spot (clay, weeds) for three years til the lawnmower killed it. The next one got lawnmowered after just two years. Unless you can figure out a way of getting certain husbands to pay attention to where they're mowing, I will probably never be able to tell you exactly how long winter savory *can* live -- but certainly you don't need to take it in, and doing so will probably not extend its lifespan anyhow.

(It is probably one of the deals like some "short lived perennials" that just go too woody and dwindle and die after some years, and need to be propagated from or replaced before thathappens).

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well Pat, that is good news!

Sounds like I may have some for a time to come. I'l plant it with the rest of my herbs, and see what happens

I always try to plant things, that I want to keep, where the lawn tractor can't reach them.:lol:

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My winter savory has been outdoors for 4 years. Zone 5 and sometimes zone 4, snowbelt on Lake Erie.
This year has been it's best.

Latest posts