Winter season in the Garden

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We need some pictures of the week that portray the seasonal winter garden - I know not everyone has winter like we do (it's snowing out there right now, a soft blanket of white is slowly covering everything, it isn't supposed to be much), but for those of us who do and have to wait a few months to spring, it's a nice reminder that the gardens are sleeping but will return :watering . PM me with your pics! If I get enough we'll have a bit of a contest to decide which ones should be posted. :weight

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Funny, I just took pictures a couple of days ago of my winter garden. Here are the photos

I willl start with my ladder square foot garden. It has lettuce, carrots, cilantro, parsley, and Basil, but you can't see the square of basil in this photo!

Laddersqftgarden120308email.jpg

This is my Red Habenero Plant, I have seven or eight of these plants throughout the garden. They are doing great!!

HabenerobushinPot120308email.jpg

This is the lettuce seed blend that is from a famous restaurant, but I forgot the name of it. I planted it at the base of one of my Apricot trees.

LettuceunderApricotTree120308email.jpg

This is the other ladder square foot garden. It is in a little green house near the back door. In the ladder are different types of lettuces and spinach. In the rest of the greenhouse is sage, stevia, oregano, parsley, garlic chives, peppermint, potatoes and violets.

120408InsideGreenHouseemail.jpg

The potatoes and violets seem to be growing nicely together.

VioletandPotato120308eamil.jpg

This is a new area I just dug up and planted some violets. It is the very back of the garden, behind the peach, and two apricot trees. There is a three section square foot garden back there too, it only has one red habenero still growing back there. The hope is that in a year or so the violets will be thickly growing between the stepping stones. Here is one happy violet plant.

VioletDec308email.jpg

And I can't garden with out help from Spartacus! I pulled up an Amaranth plant, I was very careful with it because it was full of seed. I set it down, only to have Spartacus pick it up and happily sow seed all over the backyard!! Here he is resting in the verbena after "helping" me. This Spring I will be pulling up Amaranth seedlings all over the bacyard!!

SpartacuswithAmaranthemail.jpg

shareneh

Sprout
Reaction score
rebbetzin,
You officially live in paradise. I am so jello:/ Nice Nice Nice garden and pooch.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Really - I wanted to portray the winter season, not make the rest of us jealous! :lol:

Rebbetzin, your photos are lovely, I'll put them in line for consideration! :)

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
Really - I wanted to portray the winter season, not make the rest of us jealous! :lol:

Rebbetzin, your photos are lovely, I'll put them in line for consideration! :)
But, this is my "winter" season. We do get snow now and then, every three or four years... and I have pictures of that too. In fact a couple of years ago I had a snowman I kept in the freezer for months and took his picture in the garden several times that year. I named him Irving, He was of course, a Jewish snowman.

IrvinginTalitKatanemail.jpg

You notice he has lost some weight, his kippah is too big now!

Irvingwithshamrocksemail.jpg

IrvinginJohnnyJumpUpsemail.jpg

Here is Spartacus wondering what that cold white stuff is...
SpartacusWhatisthisemail.jpg

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Irving is just too cute, especially paired with my all-time favorite, Johnny Jump-Ups! Thank you for posting him! :)

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So we shouldn't post pictures like these I just took?

We need a special Winter season in the garden section for those of us without a blanket of snow on the ground:p

This just does not seem normal to me, my Pear (Hood) is blooming now!
p1010001.jpg

We still have plenty of peppers growing as well. Love these purple Bell peppers!
P1010004.jpg

Other blooms today:

P1010003.jpg

P1010005.jpg

P1010002.jpg

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think you warm winter gardeners are just rubbing it in to those of us who are growing nothing but frozen broccoli. :plbb

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
punkin said:
I think you warm winter gardeners are just rubbing it in to those of us who are growing nothing but frozen broccoli. :plbb
Weather here is predicted to be 35 next Tuesday... I hope not, I am in a kind of low area, so that means I could get a freeze!! I was hoping it would wait until Feb. to freeze!!

Beavis, why are your Irises blooming??? That is just too weird!! We only have them bloom in late spring and early summer here.

Latest posts