Winter Squash!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of butternut and buttercup squash I picked from my garden. This is my first time growing these winter squash and wish I would of started growing them sooner. I can't wait to try them in recipes at home. I have them storing in my garage with the storage potatoes. There are other types of winter squash I would love to try next season.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
What type Buttercups are those, G?

They look great, colorful, and are quite a bit larger than the Butternuts!

:)

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very nice Greenthumb! Those Buttercup look a bit pumpkiny. Have you eaten them before?
Winter squash is another thing I'll be adding to next years garden...:)

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Steve,

:D Thanks Steve! Those are Buttercups I got from Jungs Seeds, the variety is called Sun Spot Hybrid. I was impressed with this variety as it matures quickly compared to others. I really can't wait to taste them Jung Seeds says their better tasting then the old Gold Nugget variety, we shall see!

thistlebloom,

Thanks thistlebloom ;) No I haven't eaten them before but I really can't wait to try them. I will let everyone know how they compare with other winter squash. They do look rather pretty too with the dark orange color with lighter orange stripes across the squash. I'm sure their great for using for show and decoration as well. Yes, you should definitely try some winter squash in the garden, their so much fun seeing them grow across the garden.

fireweed

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Greenthumb18 said:
Here are some pictures of butternut and buttercup squash I picked from my garden. This is my first time growing these winter squash and wish I would of started growing them sooner. I can't wait to try them in recipes at home. I have them storing in my garage with the storage potatoes. There are other types of winter squash I would love to try next season.

[url]http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/5881_pa090383.jpg[/url]

[url]http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/5881_pa090391.jpg[/url]

[url]http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/5881_pa090390.jpg[/url]
Your buttercups look completely different than mine. Mine are deep green with just a blush of orange. The flesh is dark orange almost like pumpkin and soooooo delicious mashed with butter or used for pies too. I wish I knew how to upload pics I have of mine. My old Mac computer doesn't seem to be able to do it.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did you have any trouble with vine borers? I know they don't bother with butternut...

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa said:
Did you have any trouble with vine borers? I know they don't bother with butternut...
I remember vine borers affecting one of my butternut squash plant, but I noticed it right away and I took the borer out and piled soil all around as far up the vine as I could, and to my amazement new roots did form and the plant did fine and produced a butternut squash or two. They seem to bother all the summer squashes much more and leave the winter squash alone for the most part.

I wish there were summer squash varieties where vine borers wouldn't bother :fl .

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have no idea about what I'm talking about with vine borers. Just trying to be helpful.

What about alternatives:

Tromboncino (click), a Cucurbita moschata like Butternut but a summer type

Mexican Tatume (click), Cucurbita pepo

Then there is "Vegetable Marrow" but the ones that I've come across are bush plants. If the vining characteristic is important, the other 2 are vines.

Steve
edited to put in the "(click)'s"

Latest posts