Wintergreen...

Arklady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have often smelled but could never find wintergreen plants. I can find spearment and peppermint plants but no wintergreen. I love the smell and taste of wintergreen. Do any of you have some cuttings or something like that I can get a start from?

Arklady

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hey arklady, HI!
No wintergreen here but I got plenty of catmint spouting up in the yard-lol...you want some-hehehe

Arklady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
No. I just want some wintergreen it smells heavenly to me... :)

Arklady

miss_thenorth

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
When I lived up north N.Ont, Can. We used to go blueberry picking, and wintergreen (gaultheriea)grew there. I used to pick it and freeze it to use for tea. It has a scent you could get lost in. apparently, this variety grew wherhardly anything else would.

Sorry--not much help...

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It is a woodland plant. It needs *shade*, consistant moisture, and woodsy sort of humusy (not soggy) soil. If you have a woodland garden it is worth trying (if you're in an appropriate zone), but it is not a suitable "normal" garden subject.

The young twigs of cherry birch (a tree) taste sorta like wintergreen, but that prolly doesn't really help you :)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news,

Pat

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Spring Hill nursery has it...as well as several other online sites.

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ahh Wintergreen. I grew up on a rural street call Teaberry Road. During walks in the forest as a child, my mother would pluck a small plant from the ground, crush a leaf, and say "smell this". Unmistakably wintergreen. She called it Teaberry. Also, every Sunday morning before church, we would go to the corner store and buy clove chewing gum and teaberry chewing gum. I was very happy to come across the plant during a walk with my own children a couple of years ago, and I plucked a plant from the ground.......

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
A lady on freecycle just gave me some spearmint last night-wow the smell is so strong. I am amazed. I hope it roots in.
Wondering how it compares to wintergreen? The spearmint is somewhat leggy and appears to root where it touches the ground.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
The bleuberries and wintergreen i picked were growing in sand, on the edge of a jack pine forest.

:idunno
That would be their favorite environment, in the forest duff of a pine barren type area. They do run through the duff, but prefer the soil beneath be gritty/sandy/well drained. They don't grow well in moist soil. I've got it growing naturally in my forested areas here.

Latest posts