Wintering My Garden

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I read about both being an option. I tried to get hay but could not coordinate with the rancher, and time got short. This is only a little experiment since I am wondering if it will get too cold for the garlic, onion, and potato transplants to go. We will see. I will take the leftover and layer it later this week to help really insulate it.
If you don't have livestock you are competing with cattle and horse owners for hay. The whole country is pretty dry, so hay prices are up. If you EVER see an ad for "rained on hay" I suggest that you buy that, bring it home and open up the bales IMMEDIATELY, so that they do not heat up and cause a fire. You can use that for gardening after it dries out.
Try grass clippings.

Last edited:

Jane23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:welcome from Central IL. Your growing zone/state have a LOT to do with answering your question. Please put your location with your avatar bc I won't remember where you live once you start posting.
She lives in Wisconsin and might be in a similar zone to you.
I live in a warmer zone, and ALL of my advice was to get it into the ground ASAP.
Inga plants in October and covers with straw.
I am unsure how to add my zone avatar, and I know it all depends on my growing zone. I live in South Eastern Montana so there are severe winters, and everything dies. The maps say I am in zone 3b.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Cover crops are tricky. You almost have to plant them in late summer/early Fall to establish and then you expect them to die back before they set seed.
The best advice will come from the University of Montana, Your land grant University, and they have Extension offices specifically to answer questions about your Montana property.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Miles City, which is sorta in SE Montana, is miles and miles away. BIG State and a big SE area for Jane23.

Missoula is on this, the western side of the Great Divide and has been nicknamed The Garden City. I asked a resident one time how it came by that name. She just said that it is by comparison with the other cities in the state. Ouch! Yes, Missoula is close.

Steve

Jane23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Miles City, which is sorta in SE Montana, is miles and miles away. BIG State and a big SE area for Jane23.

Missoula is on this, the western side of the Great Divide and has been nicknamed The Garden City. I asked a resident one time how it came by that name. She just said that it is by comparison with the other cities in the state. Ouch! Yes, Missoula is close.

Steve
Missoula is very different from here. Please do not reference the other side of the state, it does little good.

Latest posts