Wintering My Garden

Jane23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My area had its first snow on October 12th of last year. I think we will get lucky for at least a bit. Enough time to get the garlic into the ground and maybe plant a few more onion seeds, and of course, cover it all with straw.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
and of course, cover it all with straw.
Something I learned this season was that garlic do much better under chopped straw. That is what we used initially and then filled in a few sparse areas without chopping it first. The garlic had a hard time coming up through the unchopped straw and I had to pull it back (I didn't notice for awhile and the stalks were badly deformed by having been unable to break through).

In past years we've used wood mulch and I like that much better. There is less mildew and it doesn't keep the ground cold and saturated with moisture like straw does. But of course we are known for being wet so this may not be a problem for you.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Something I learned this season was that garlic do much better under chopped straw. That is what we used initially and then filled in a few sparse areas without chopping it first. The garlic had a hard time coming up through the unchopped straw and I had to pull it back (I didn't notice for awhile and the stalks were badly deformed by having been unable to break through).
I mulch with hay, and there are always a few shoots which need help breaking through. That is not a major issue, since I inspect the bed often & free up most of the trapped shoots before there is any lasting damage. With my heavy soil & frequently wet Springs, the loose structure & better air flow of the hay is worth the inconvenience of freeing up any trapped shoots... and it releases some nutrients as it breaks down.

If I use leaves or any chopped material, it tends to be packed down by the snow, becoming much more impenetrable than the hay. I had negative results in the past with both leaves, and grass clippings; high losses of garlic due to rot. Chopped straw might remain loose, I could run it through a shredder with a course screen... but having had a "wheat lawn" several times, I tend to avoid straw in general.

To be fair, I've had bad experiences with heavy weed loads in hay too... but I can generally catch that, and weeds tend to be less of an issue in the 4-6" layer used for garlic. Since I am generally driving 20-30 miles to buy hay, I question the source before before the drive, and closely examining a bale before purchase. Timothy & clover hay tends to be a winning combination.

Jane23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This is my first year with straw and planting a few onion seeds (plus the few sprouts that surprised me after my onions bolted). I am also seeing what happens with some of my potatoes that I replanted with the tiny potatoes still attached. We get really low temperatures and I do expect the beds to be completely covered in snow in the next month or so. I am also trying to help keep my strawberry plant going as I finally got it going.

Should I leave the sprouts sticking out of the hay (if they can) or cover them before the first snow? I know the potatoes will die back and expect it but do I completely cover them now or before snow/freezing temperatures hit?

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I mulch with hay, and there are always a few shoots which need help breaking through. That is not a major issue, since I inspect the bed often & free up most of the trapped shoots before there is any lasting damage. With my heavy soil & frequently wet Springs, the loose structure & better air flow of the hay is worth the inconvenience of freeing up any trapped shoots... and it releases some nutrients as it breaks down.

If I use leaves or any chopped material, it tends to be packed down by the snow, becoming much more impenetrable than the hay. I had negative results in the past with both leaves, and grass clippings; high losses of garlic due to rot. Chopped straw might remain loose, I could run it through a shredder with a course screen... but having had a "wheat lawn" several times, I tend to avoid straw in general.

To be fair, I've had bad experiences with heavy weed loads in hay too... but I can generally catch that, and weeds tend to be less of an issue in the 4-6" layer used for garlic. Since I am generally driving 20-30 miles to buy hay, I question the source before before the drive, and closely examining a bale before purchase. Timothy & clover hay tends to be a winning combination.
I would have preferred hay. Finding an unsprayed source was a challenge last year so I wound up with straw instead... but I'd rather have hay. Those are interesting observations, thanks! I have a lot of leaves (and grass clippings) and wasn't aware of the potential problems.

Jane23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Meadow
I would have preferred hay. Finding an unsprayed source was a challenge last year so I wound up with straw instead... but I'd rather have hay. Those are interesting observations, thanks! I have a lot of leaves (and grass clippings) and wasn't aware of the potential problems.
I read about both being an option. I tried to get hay but could not coordinate with the rancher, and time got short. This is only a little experiment since I am wondering if it will get too cold for the garlic, onion, and potato transplants to go. We will see. I will take the leftover and layer it later this week to help really insulate it.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately, treated hay is becoming more commonplace. But I have to admit (sadly) that the worst lot of hay I've ever used was an "organic" hay - that was full of ragweed, creeping Jenny, and crab grass seed. :ep Years later, I'm still dealing with the ramifications of that. Here, "marsh hay" is chemically safe, but needs to be inspected for perennial weeds like thistle and yellow dock. Mixed hay, especially grass/clover, seems to be the safest... and the clover breaks down relatively quickly, releasing some nutrients.

One of the benefits of hay vs. straw is that hay feeds the earthworm population, which helps the garden throughout the growing season.

Silly as it may seem (and to the consternation of my lawn-pride neighbor) I intentionally allow my lawn to get a little longer in early Autumn. That way, when I mow & collect the fallen leaves to add to the garden, there is some green mixed in to aid in decomposition. The wood ashes I spread over the leaves probably help speed the decomposition too, as well as adding nutrients to the soil.

Jane23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Unfortunately, treated hay is becoming more commonplace. But I have to admit (sadly) that the worst lot of hay I've ever used was an "organic" hay - that was full of ragweed, creeping Jenny, and crab grass seed. :ep Years later, I'm still dealing with the ramifications of that. Here, "marsh hay" is chemically safe, but needs to be inspected for perennial weeds like thistle and yellow dock. Mixed hay, especially grass/clover, seems to be the safest... and the clover breaks down relatively quickly, releasing some nutrients.

One of the benefits of hay vs. straw is that hay feeds the earthworm population, which helps the garden throughout the growing season.

Silly as it may seem (and to the consternation of my lawn-pride neighbor) I intentionally allow my lawn to get a little longer in early Autumn. That way, when I mow & collect the fallen leaves to add to the garden, there is some green mixed in to aid in decomposition. The wood ashes I spread over the leaves probably help speed the decomposition too, as well as adding nutrients to the soil.
You have to be careful with what is labeled "organic" a lot of chemicals are considered "safe"; therefore, grass, foods, etc. can be labeled organic, and in my mind, that is a lie. I am not overly happy with the straw, and I am sure it is not as good as it could be to protect my potential onions and garlic. I am still researching cover crops as my soil is depleted after this year and WAY too acidic.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5

In past years we've used wood mulch and I like that much better. There is less mildew and it doesn't keep the ground cold and saturated with moisture like straw does. But of course we are known for being wet so this may not be a problem for you.
I mulched the 12 ft row of garlic with one year old seasoned mulch, very light, and the stuff that I kept my privets alive in all summer. Then I lightly covered it with straw. I noticed 5 of them have punched through, but I decided that they could use a watering, so they got soaked. It has been VERY dry here. Farmers always complain, but our local farmers couldn't ask for better harvest weather. No rain in over 2 weeks.
I don't agree with this recent map. Since June our county has been D1.
Here is last week's nationwide drought monitor.
We have had flooding so high that, although our town is Not on a flood plain, we have had to zigzag through the country to avoid flooded roads in the past, most usually in the spring before vegetation has grown enough to suck it up.
Long story...we are DRY HERE!!

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I read about both being an option. I tried to get hay but could not coordinate with the rancher, and time got short. This is only a little experiment since I am wondering if it will get too cold for the garlic, onion, and potato transplants to go. We will see. I will take the leftover and layer it later this week to help really insulate it.
For science! 😁 I'll be interested to hear the results.

Latest posts