Wintersown mishap

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I tried the winter sown thing this year and set out all my seeds in plastic soda bottles that were ventilated. I maked each one alphabetically with A B C etc and kept a record of what was in what. I marked the letter with a sharpie. Well a couple of months later the sharpie is gone and I have no idea what is what. Dang. Should I buy plants this year. What if I am placing the hot next to the sweet pepper. What if that is a cuke I am placing next to my canteloup... Dang.................................. What if?

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
obsessed said:
I tried the winter sown thing this year and set out all my seeds in plastic soda bottles that were ventilated. I maked each one alphabetically with A B C etc and kept a record of what was in what. I marked the letter with a sharpie. Well a couple of months later the sharpie is gone and I have no idea what is what. Dang. Should I buy plants this year. What if I am placing the hot next to the sweet pepper. What if that is a cuke I am placing next to my canteloup... Dang.................................. What if?
By the time they are big enogh to plant out you should be able to ID a lot of them.
I just did kind of the same thing on a smaller scale. I have Brandywines and Better Boys growing and when I transplanted them I didn't watch which was which. I figure I;ll be able to tell easily when they get a few more leaves since Brandywine has potato leaves.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
AAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahh! Calm my grasshopper... all will be well.

I would start with the obvious plants, the one you have a good idea of. You know that the sweet and hot pepper are not in the same bottle so separate them for sure. Try doing an online search in google images for seedings of each different type of plant, try to photo match with yours at about the same age. I've had to do that and it helped me a lot. Somehow seeds moved into other peat pots and grew with other plants and I had to separate them out and search what they were to get them right by using images I found with labels.

Somehow I ended up with poppies growing with my black eyed susans... yet I planted each one in a different room at different times and somehow I found some in the bathroom while all my poppies were in the kitchen. Then I found a larkspur growing out from my sunflower pots, while I planted my larkspur nearly 2 months earlier! CRAZY I tell ya!

I tried the 'winter sown' way myself with the bottles on the deck, I put them out in November.... by the first week of december they sprouted. I put one bottle out in January and again it sprouted here and died by Feb! Grrrrrrrrr

I just did everything inside where I could control their enviroment.

Latest posts