Witza Pole Beans

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Is anyone growing this pole bean and be willing to share a few seeds? I have a friend who is desperately looking for some and I would love to be able to help her out. I believe it is a South African pole bean which is becoming very hard to find. Any help you could give me would be very much appreciated. I have a whole list of beans I could trade. Fingers crossed :).
Annette

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hello @aftermidnight,

Yes I have a few Witsa beans. I would be willing to send out 12 seeds if your friend would be willing to send back 25 or more good quality dry seeds at the end of the growing season. Your friend would esentially be part of the 2016 Little Easy Bean Network. He probably should grow out the beans for seed the first year. Since your friend lives in Canada I will also send you a USDA import seed label of mine and instructions to be used on the return seed just to make sure the beans are not confiscated by U.S customs.
12 beans can grow a lot of seed. Marshall was the last one to grow out this bean in 2014.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 thanks, the panic is over she now has a few seeds BUT since you and I have done the small lots permit route with the runner beans and that worked out well I'd be willing to grow some Witsa for you. I have had very good luck with most of the beans I have grown even a few that were dubious because of days to maturity, not having enough days before frost sets in.
Our climate is perfect for growing most of the beans but having a small garden compared to most of you, space is at a premium :(. I do have one spot that is pretty isolated so there shouldn't be any crossing but I will bag a few flowers to be on the safe side. In fact you could send me another variety as well, you choose which one as long as it's a pole bean and not a lima or yard long, not hot enough here as a rule, last year being the exception, I could have grown both of these last year.
The only reason I haven't joined in on the 'Little Easy Bean Network' before is because of the chance of the seed being confiscated, that isn't a problem anymore when using the permit. Do you still have my address?
Annette

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Annette,

Yes still have your address. I keep everyone's address on a program I use for making address labels. I will send the Witsa and pick another bean for you. I'll probably send them out next Friday. I'm leaving tomorrow to visit with my brother for a couple of days. Will then send the beans after I get back.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 Great I'll put them on my grow list for 2016. I was given a few "Lazy Wife" bean seed and grew them out last year. This is the true Lazy Wife that Burpee introduced in 1888, it is not kidney shaped but round and shiny white like polished marble. So when I send the seed back in the fall I could send some of those plus a couple more I don't think you have :). We have to keep this addiction going LOL.
Annette