Won a chili contest this weekend!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
journey11 said:
Congratulations, Stubbornhillfarm!

Lots of beans, just what I love in chili. I think I put too much tomato sauce in mine and all the acid ends up giving me heartburn. Your recipe is very different from what I make, but it sounds really good. I bet it was the sweet italian sausage that did it. I would have never thought to add something like that, but I'll try it next time because I know my dh would love that.
I was reading somewhere that the top contenders at chili cookoffs all put a little brown sugar or molasses in their chili to balance the acidity. I tried it and it did mellow it out. The problem with not measuring is that the second time I did it I couldn't remember how much I added the first time and I made it too sweet. The guys all thought it was fine, but they're so thoughtful they wouldn't complain if I put cardboard in it. :rolleyes:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just mixing the beans, is a good way to add "depth" to the chili. I could say "nuance" or something but words like this may not go with chili-making ;).

Two different meats is a great idea! I've got plenty of ground beef and picked up some ground turkey, yesterday. One of these first days, I will be making meat loaf. A little smoked sausage, finely minced will be a good addition, too. If I'm following a recipe, it is easy to substitute in a variety of things for the meat called for in the recipe. If it is 1 1/2 pound of ground beef; I may make it 1# + the other meats to = 1 1/2#. I've often done this and prefer to do it when making meatloaf.

Meat balls with spaghetti sauce is also on the menu! The sauce is made from several different varieties of tomatoes. This year, I've got a whole lot of yellow/orange beefsteaks and they really have added some . . . "je ne sais quoi" to the sauce!

That's French for "i don't know what . . ." :p.

Steve

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve... you can also make a very nice topping for a deep dish pizza with that combo of meats, tomatoes, chillis, spagetti sauce , just add some cheese ! :drool

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
journey11 said:
Congratulations, Stubbornhillfarm!

Lots of beans, just what I love in chili. I think I put too much tomato sauce in mine and all the acid ends up giving me heartburn. Your recipe is very different from what I make, but it sounds really good. I bet it was the sweet italian sausage that did it. I would have never thought to add something like that, but I'll try it next time because I know my dh would love that.
I was reading somewhere that the top contenders at chili cookoffs all put a little brown sugar or molasses in their chili to balance the acidity. I tried it and it did mellow it out. The problem with not measuring is that the second time I did it I couldn't remember how much I added the first time and I made it too sweet. The guys all thought it was fine, but they're so thoughtful they wouldn't complain if I put cardboard in it. :rolleyes:
That reminds me... My dad always used to go behind my mom and add sugar to her pot of chili and it made her so mad! Some husbands don't have the good sense to eat cardboard! :gig Of course, they ended up divorcing eventually. Perhaps that had something to do with it. :p (I will have to try adding a little though.)

Steve, I do that with meatloaf too. It really does make a difference. I use 1/2 venison burger and 1/2 gr. beef. Makes it not so fatty.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
OMG, my husband made the best "pizza roll" last night. I saw this great idea on pinterest, and it was delicious! We just used frozen bread dough from the store, nicely thawed. Rolled it out in a square, slathered with tomato sauce and toppings and cheeze, then rolled it up like a pumpkin roll. It was sorta like a calzone, but BETTER.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have two things I always do when cooking beans. The first is to use chicken stock in place of water. Vegetable stock will work if you prefer. What a difference that makes. The second is to add a good sized spig of epazote (planted it once and it's been popping up here and there ever since) Epazote brings out the flavor of beans and makes them easier to digest. It also takes the "blow" out of them.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks all for the congrats. I really just thought it was funny! You all tossed around some great ideas as well.

The prize was a nice stainless steel spoon rest with a plaque on it. Just so happens I didn't have a spoon rest. And a really nice pot holder with silicone on the bottom. And bragging rights of course!

Mary, what I call pea beans are the little brown beans that you buy in a can. Campells has them, around here it is Bushes.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Stubborn we have Bushes, baked beans and grilling beans. They are sweet and I've never thought to use them in chili. Will have to try them next time.

Mary

Latest posts