Won a chili contest this weekend!

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
:weee

OK, Now that it sounds all exciting and everything, let me give the details.

Our church was having a big fall festival free for the community. We were going to have a chili contest. I make chili and like it, but really didn't have time to put my heart into it. I was so busy this past week. But I wanted to make some so that we had enough entries and enough chili to give away for free.

This is what I did, with absolutely no measurements so I have no way to duplicate it.

Big package of burger (no idea on poundage)
Big package of sweet italian sausage (no idea on poundage)
5 or 6 cans of pea beans (some where beans with bacon, some were beans with onion)
1 can kidney beans
1 can tomato sauce
1 can water
some salt, paprika, chili powder and a couple other spices (no idea on amounts)

Browned the meat and dumped in the rest. Thats it!

Oh my goodness, all of the others had beautiful chili's with different beans, peppers, onions, and who knows what else. They were beautiful!

So pretty much the most basic chili ever made won. I was a tad embarrassed but wanted to share the winning recipe with you all :lol:

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
You ROCK !!! My wife too is a fantastic gormet type cook. She wins first place on a whole number of entries at the fairs too. We whent to a retirement pot luck party last Saterday and there were 8 people that braught huge pots of chile. Everyone served themselves and her pot was the only one left emty and scrubbed clean when we left. She has very similar recipe for chile as yours that never fails, some of this and that and add other ingrediants and spices to taste.

seedcrazy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
That is awesome, just shows your a good cook and hence, you don't need a recipe. LOL Congratulations!:)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
No need to be embarrassed, SHF, you did GOOD!

I am not really a bad cook. I've got ideas about what I'm doing and after years of cooking a lot some years and a little other times, I can put things together well. I just go for few ingredients, you know . . . simple . . .

And, what's wrong with that . . ?

!Yay! for Stubbornhillfarm!

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Stubborn, did it come with prize money? :lol: Ok, it probably didn't. :(;) What is the pea beans? Are they baked beans?

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good job SHF! Chili is probably one of the most variable recipes out there. I like the simplicity of yours.

We eat a good bit of chili and tamales around here, and I make ours from dried pintos with beef, but I like your addition of sausage. I'll have to try that.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Congratulations, Stubbornhillfarm!

Lots of beans, just what I love in chili. I think I put too much tomato sauce in mine and all the acid ends up giving me heartburn. Your recipe is very different from what I make, but it sounds really good. I bet it was the sweet italian sausage that did it. I would have never thought to add something like that, but I'll try it next time because I know my dh would love that.

Latest posts