Won't buy from Monsanto? Don't be too sure

FarmerDenise

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That is an interesting and scary article!!!
I have been saving seeds for years and have also been trading seeds. I like the positive note at the end. I think it is a really good point.
We need to band together and exchange our own heirloom seeds, so our great grandchildren can eat real and diverce food. And hopefully put companies like Monsanto out of business

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
hoodat, since you and boggybranch are our official librarians, do you KNOW how virulent are the lab-created genes in these altered vegetables?
I want to be clear: I KNOW that they will cross-pollinate with any other flowers, heirloom or hybred, BUT, are they strong enough to affect other generations, like the genes traditionally bred into animals are strong enough to consistantly produce the same traits?

I want to know if they will stay on my property and breed traits if introduced by me or my neighbors?

OR, are these genes like "Dolly the Sheep" whose cloned genes turned out to old, like the donor, so cloning has turned out to be a poor way to replicate same.

Any studies or online articles on this? :caf
The word pernicious comes to mind. Please do your homework about Monsanto and genetically modified seeds. You and all that you care about are at risk using these products. I cannot state this too strongly. :( :barnie

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We need to band together and exchange our own heirloom seeds, so our great grandchildren can eat real and diverce food. And hopefully put companies like Monsanto out of business
:thumbsup

It makes you wonder if someday our seed train will become an underground railroad!
:hide

freemotion

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Wow. Does anyone here have a membership in Seed Savers? I was looking at their site again, and am trying to figure out what the advantage of paying $40 for a membership is. Supporting the cause, yes, and.....access to more varieties (not necessarily a plus for me, as I can get overwhelmed by thousands of choices of varieties that I know nothing about!) and.....what else? I probably spend about $40 on my garden each year. Maybe less. Need some justification, here. Maybe I will suggest to dh that we buy ourselves a gift certificate to Seed Savers this year for our anniversary, to be used in the spring.

I was also looking at some of the seed saving instructions, and most of them wouldn't work for me...the distances needed between plants are too far, in my suburban neighborhood where neighbors on both sides have a few garden plants.

I would love to join a seed-saving club here, but would have to participate using herbs and such, since no one nearby grows those. How about some wild seeds....I have my eye on some St. John's Wort.

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would love to start an intercity garden in my upper scale area. However, I am not upperscale.

There are surrounding areas that are doing this. I think ALL cities should be doing this. :barnie

NMSFG

Leafing Out
Reaction score
If you get a chance watch "King Corn". It open my eye about Monsanto. I buy my seed from Seed Savers and others who sells heirloom seeds.

Latest posts