Wood chews for rabbits

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
What kind of wood can you use? Apple twigs or mulberry?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i've seen apple twigs sold at the pet store and my local feed store. so i'm sure those are fine for them. i don't know about the mulberry. i do know you can also give them pine cones to chew on. usually the hard ones are preferred. my bun bun likes them either way.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My bunnies get my apple tree trimmings a lot. I usually always have some type of branch in each pen. They seem to love the apple and sassafras. I've seen young ones nibbling on the twigs as young as 3 weeks old. Don't know much about the mulberry though. But I wouldn't hesitate to try it.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
yeah, i saw them being sold at a pet store last year and got a good chuckle that they were selling them for $3-$4 for 3 cones coming from China. i guess we can't produce pine cones cheaper here in the US or something. :rolleyes: i mean, its not like they grow on trees! oh, wait, they do!

i don't bother to clean the ones i give my bun, i do look for ones that don't have a lot of pitch. he'd eat them gladly the way they are. i just think it is part of what they would eat if they were wild. there are no unnatural colors or flavors added to make it tempting, just what mother nature intended them to be.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for all the answers. Son's g'friend has a rabbit. She buys wood toys at petsmart. Thought I would save her some money. Can't believe what she pays for little pieces of wood

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Willow is a great wood for buns to chew on. It's a favorite with wild rabbits, especially in Winter when food is scarce. Ash is another good one as is sycamore. Cherry, especially wild cherry, should be avided since it contains cyanide.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
hoodat said:
Willow is a great wood for buns to chew on. It's a favorite with wild rabbits, especially in Winter when food is scarce. Ash is another good one as is sycamore. Cherry, especially wild cherry, should be avided since it contains cyanide.
Any comment about mulberry?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smiles said:
My bunnies get my apple tree trimmings a lot. I usually always have some type of branch in each pen. They seem to love the apple and sassafras. I've seen young ones nibbling on the twigs as young as 3 weeks old. Don't know much about the mulberry though. But I wouldn't hesitate to try it.
Do you give them fresh or age them for 30+ days?

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
Do you give them fresh or age them for 30+ days?
Many times I trim the risers off the apple trees and give them to the rabbits within 10 minutes. My girls and boy are out there right now munching on some older twigs though.

Latest posts