Woodchuck nearly broke me

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
image-jpeg.15326

100# of big baby EXCEPT for groundhogs. Has some pit in him that makes for short, strong legs, deep chest and beyond strong jaws. Dad was mostly golden retriever-his personality along with pits wanting to be your buddy.

He chases cats, won't hurt them but loves the chase. He saw a ground hog, thought it was cat. Ran at it, when it stood up, he went to sniff it. It ripped up his face. On instinct, one bite, dead ground hog. Now, he hunts for them. He thinks they ALL MUST DIE!!!! I'm telling him no different. Still chases cats & doesn't hurt them.
Good Boy

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
That’s a lot of damage! I hope you can keep them out with the fence fixed now and you just got me thinking of when will I start some things for fall. I can't remember the name of the animals here that live along water, but they get in cars and eat wiring.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our fence repair was adding a 4 foot piece of chicken wire over the buried fence securing the offending hole. There already was a shorter piece of coated chicken wire that has been a big help in keeping them out but has sagged over time. SO adding the new fence over the old we secured the 3 fences together with cable ties. Our is a large 90x90 garden so my back gave out before finishing the cable tie portion of the project. Woke up with big back pain. Hobbled out to the garden and a fat woodchuck was dining on the young plants- a different one than I saw the other day. He ran for his life getting caught between the 3 fences. I hobbled after him with a tined weeder in my hands.I wacked it as it chirped at me. I am just an old weenie. I just could not wack it with all my might. After 3 swings I turned to get my husband who has a strong swing. Of course it was able to get away. So in my pain I was out there in the rain at 6 am securing more cable ties. I have secured more of the fence but the back would not let me do any more.If I had a gun I would have shot it. It was that chirping that gave me pause. I am sure you gun owners are either laughing or disgusted with me. Woodchucks 2-Cathy 0. I think I have to call my chiropractor begging to get in.

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We used to have moles tearing up the yard but my little mix-breed dog would suddenly shove her nose in the ground and come up shaking and that was that. She caught and killed all kinds of little critters. Once she brought me a baby something. It was hairless, short ears, short tail and about as long as my hand. I wondered if it wasn't a ground hog. Voles would be lying on my doorstep dead. I have to say maybe a rat terrier in the garden fence at night might keep plant eating critters at bay. Maybe not though. I have also saw deer standing on hind legs eating peaches off the trees and the dogs would be lying down watching until I hollered out the door. :barnie

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wife's dog. He just prefers to hang with me.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I see a few gopher mounds in our yard . They are not close to the garden yet, but I better get proactive about it. Has anyone used the pounding windmills to keep them out? Wonder if they work!, if I use a trap I am afraid I will catch one of the five dogs around here or the cat.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't know about gophers but moles don't like movement.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't know about gophers but moles don't like movement.

I actually have a couple I may try to cobble together to make one functioning windmill. Not sure how well they could work , but I guess the concept is a good idea. Maybe I could get a mini speaker and pipe some Brittany Spears down the hole, that will surely make them want to relocate.

Latest posts