World's Ugliest Vegetable

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought that this thread needed a new picture since photo bucket stopped posting the pictures of the ugliest vegetable :):

IMG_0764.jpeg
Two “fresh“ buckets came home the other day ;).

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
how long will they keep?
All Winter – even buried in soil and covered with leaves and such for a good layer of insulation. They need especially cold storage to go any longer into the Spring. Here’s how DW likes them cleaned since we should be able to get them through the Winter not in a pit but in the refrigerators/& coolers on the deck.

IMG_0767.jpeg
Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Which variety do you grow digitS'?
Brilliant. Over several years — they do fairly well if started especially early indoors and ~ it's likely true ~ that they never pick up speed until late in the season. However, they are so good with mashed potatoes ... use your early potatoes for creamed peas and potatoes. The ones coming out of storage can use the celery flavor boost.

Steve :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’ve never tried it. Because of my hellfire summers, it would probably do better as a fall crop here. We do get some freezes down in the 20’s or teens, but maybe it would survive if deeply mulched, for spring finishing growth.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
All Winter – even buried in soil and covered with leaves and such for a good layer of insulation. They need especially cold storage to go any longer into the Spring. Here’s how DW likes them cleaned since we should be able to get them through the Winter not in a pit but in the refrigerators/& coolers on the deck.

View attachment 61255
Steve
I've got to admit, as much as I love to grow unusual vegetables (as indicated by my avatar, which might be an ugly runner up) I've never tried celeriac. I'll have to buy some to try before thinking about it. I sure like the idea of something which stores all winter though.

Latest posts