worm bins how do you make them? how do you care for them?

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Okay here is the thing I want to make a worm bin. Possibly a small one ? Can I keep it under my kitchen counter or even on the counter? How do you care for one ? Could I build a small one to compost the things my chickens wont eat and then mix that compost with the stuff in my compost tumbler? I have no clue what I am doing so please teach me.

MeanQueenNadine

Leafing Out
Reaction score
My worm bin is just a rubber maid bin with holes drilled into the sides for ventilation, I just used the largest drill bit I had. Err on the side of too many, the worms if they are happy will not try to escape (they do not like light). If they do try to escape your bin has some kind of problem......

Some people make a worm bin out of 2 5 gallon pails that can fit into each other. Drill holes in sides again, so that when they are nested the align up. The top bucket also gets holes drilled into the bottom so the leachate can drain into the bottom one. You still need the lid.

The bottom layer I just have non-biodegradable packing peanuts (the biodegradable dissolve in water) round 3-4 inches worth. This is the area where the leachate will collect do NOT mistake this for TEA tea is different. Then you add the layer of bedding = shredded paper soaked in water then squeezed dry or just spray with water for the same dampened affect. Then you just start tossing in.

Bedding is where they will ALL congregate if they do not like if they do not like their environment. Its natural to see some there but just some not all.

You would want to set this up a week or 2 before you get your worms. Remember that they do not eat what you throw in there they eat what grows on what you throw in. So if you throw in an apple and you see them on the apple they are not eating apple but what is growing on it.

Worm Favorites include: Banana (whole or just the peel) & cornmeal from what I have observed I think the cornmeal is some kind of aphrodisiac dont ask.....OK fine...usually they mate normally but I have witnessed what can only be explained as an orgy & I truly do attribute this to the cornmeal. I got them before I got chickens and was obsessed with them. I tackle life one obsession @ a time. If you fish you can make a small bin and feed them predominately garlic & you will have some killer garlic verms.

Dislikes: Same as chickens citrus & salt

Then throw in the worms and put on the lid. Its very easy to over feed to begin with wait till they move into the newest area before you add more. Your population has not established itself yet. When you do go to add more do the same thing bedding & ?.....you know whatever, you will find yourself slowing adding more and more @ a faster rate as your population increases.

A healthy bin should smell kind earthy.

Some people make a worm bin out of 2 5 gallon pails that can fit into each other. Drill holes in sides again, so that when they are nested the align up. The top bucket also gets holes drilled into the bottom so the leachate can drain into the bottom one. You still need the lid.

Problems:

Bin smells funny either its too wet or overstocked with food. If too wet then add in dry shredded paper to absorb. If overstocked then remove extra food preferably anything with no mold on it yet and add more bedding.

Fruit Fly Infestation: Is very common, too avoid I freeze any & all uncooked veggies & fruits first then throw in the bin, I think this also helps speed up the decomposition process.
If you get an infestation in you bin, put Apple Cider Vinegar in a saucer & put in the bin they will be drawn to it & then drown.

HTH
N

GwenFarms

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thats for the great post Nadine! I plan to build one this weekend out of rubbermaid :)

1acrefarm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have been having problems with fire ants getting in my worm bins. After the last mass loss I have decided when I go fishing I will just dig the naturally occurring worms in my compost piles when I want to go fishing.