Worms in can?

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm about to start some worms. They are in a cooler right now, but I really need to move them to their more permanent home. I was going to buy a tote.

But, I have this old black trash can that isn't doing anything. It's probably a 30-35 gallon one with a lid.

Could I compost and grow worms in this container if I (get hubby to) drill some holes in it? My main concern is that it will be too hot and roast the worms.

TIA

Cassandra

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
poor... worms...

wasting away
... in cooler
(cough cough)

hehe bump

Cassandra

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I raised worms in a Rubber Maid tote...a large one. If you keep them somewhere cool they should do alright. I just kept mine in the garage, plenty of ventilation, nice and moist. Should do well in a trash can as long as they are kept cool. Where are you planning to put the trash can?

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well, I have some compost that I have been working on, but it is mostly in a pile. I thought to put some dirt and worms in there with the rest of the compost material (oak leaves, grass clippings, vegetable scraps, egg shells, and shredded newspaper.)

Cassandra

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It would, indeed, be too hot, unless in the shade, I think.

I like mine to be wider than deep, so I can work in it. A tote, as Beekissed mentions, would work better, IMO.

Then again, I don't know, I'm the one planting some of my potatoes in clean trash cans! :happy_flower

Mine are in wooden worm houses we made.

Good luck; now warm those poor worms up! lol! ;)

Latest posts