Worst Drivers

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yup. I agree on South Carolina being the 2nd worst state for drivers. These people skeer me!! Oh, and none of the roads actually go N/S/E/W. They are ALL diagonal. When I lived here in 83-85..and had to get my first actual CONUS drivers license, I had to take the driving test in Charleston. Talk about nerve wracking. When we left in 85, I vowed never to live in SC again.
Fast forward 25 years. I was stuck in KS, wanted to move back to Biloxi MS. But considering Biloxi was blown off the map, that just left SC. Yup. Same ol' same ol'. Now, instead of living by Charleston, I have lived by Greenville, and now Columbia. Yup. They all drive the same kind of crazy.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was just commenting to DH the other day that I don't hear about Defensive Driving Classes anymore. And almost no school systems offer drivers education these days. It's like...."here's your license....good luck".

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Glad you got a chuckle out of that Journey. That was the intent.
Can’t call you Seed, that’s Seedcorn. “SO” just doesn’t sound right. Maybe TSO?
TSO, my uncle lived in Sandusky and worked in the Ford plant there from the end of WWII until he retired and moved back to the ridges of East Tennessee. We visited a few times. That is FLAT country with straight roads.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It seems to me that drivers ed should be a minimum requirement, certainly for an early drivers license and lower insurance rates.

California had drivers ed when I moved back there from growing up in Oregon. I didn't necessarily feel safer but . . . yeah, I felt safer.

(I just realized that I should be "well placed" for criticizing California. Yeah, I was born in Carmel - 450 miles from the border with Mexico and 450 miles from the border with Oregon ;). Of course, it may fall into the sea sometime in the future.)

Some folks just shouldn't be on the road and they may be just about everywhere. And, age contributes to that. I can't handle glare very well and that's common with older drivers.

Still, I think the aggressive, self-serving drivers may get out of accidents but blaming them on accidents in their wake might be a hard thing to do. Like NwMtGardener being run off into the ditch by someone who decided "you can run into the ditch, not me!"

"I know where I'm going, you figure it out!" Never turns on a signal. "Stop sign? That's for you, chump!" Drive without insurance unless forced to by the company that actually owns their car.

You even see these people's behavior even in a parking lot - park right in front of the door. Leave a cart in a parking space beside their vehicle. 100% for #1. Maybe we should starve them into being good citizens. I mean, we pass them within inches at high speeds on the roads, every day.

Steve
grump

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm shocked Texas is number 4. actually, we should probably be closer to number 1. don't tell dh I told you - but he's the big reason Texas is so high on the list. his guardian angel is soooo busy.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
The ones that chap my hide the most are the young girls. They're so aggressive, as if they have something to prove. makes me want to yank them outta that car and give them a good old fashioned spanking right there in front of God and everyone. ( hmm...that makes me sound a bit aggressive, yeah?).

An example...

Coming home the other day on the two-lanes-both-ways-highway, I was coming up on a slower car. Plenty of room to move over and pass, so I signal, and naturally the chick in the car in the left lane sees this as some sort of threat and stomps her accelerator so I can't move over.
She travels along just barely ahead of me, to block me I guess, then all of a sudden she swerves over to the median, jerks her car back and almost hits me! I fade back out of her way, but noticed that, you guessed it, she was playing with her "mobile device". :barnie

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle, that's when I use my mobile device with Bluetooth to call the appropriate people.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Texas only ranked #4???? :thLike BJ, I am astounded. How did Louisiana beat us out for the #1 spot?? Maybe.......it's all those tickets they write on the Texans that go over the state line to gamble. :lol: Louisiana is a speed trap.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We saw what could have been a very tragic accident today.

Taking DW to a doctor appointment about mid-day: We cross right in front of a highschool on our "snow route." Other streets are more uphill and there was an inch of snow and more coming down.

I was surprised that so many kids were out crossing the street before 11am. At a 4 way stop, one decided to race across in the crosswalk in his bicycle. Another was driving a minivan and just had to shoot off from his stop! Put that kid on the bicycle right under the front of the car!

It would have rolled him if the car had continued another foot or 2. As it was, I can hardly understand how either his head at one end or his feet at the other were not hit by the tires. Bike went flying. I thought that he may need pulling out from under the hot radiator even tho' moving someone that has been hit has to be just about the last thing that should be done.

He managed to get out and up on his own. He's gonna have lots of bruises!!

I don't think the fire truck took 5 minutes to get there. The kid was sitting on the curb by that time - just one real lucky guy. Kid in the minivan -- I don't think he's gonna get away without a citation. We weren't late for the appointment!

Steve

better get to my editing!
bleeding-heart-flower-1_zps9453f211.jpg

Latest posts